Traceback

Type your comment> @HomeSen said:

@EzioRaison said:

@TheMaestr0 said:

got the header file, inserted code but not getting anything, Is there other way.

r u sure that your inserted code is persistent, just sayin …

I know it’s not persistent, it’s getting erased every time I’m logging, as cp command is running on each login it copies file from /var/backups/up** and pasting to e**/motd/ dir.
Any hint how to make it persistent or Is there other way around?

You can’t make it persistent. As you mentioned, it gets constantly restored, so you rather need to be quick.

Any hint how to do that, or what i need to learn in order to do that?

@EzioRaison said:

@HomeSen said:

@EzioRaison said:

@TheMaestr0 said:

got the header file, inserted code but not getting anything, Is there other way.

r u sure that your inserted code is persistent, just sayin …

I know it’s not persistent, it’s getting erased every time I’m logging, as cp command is running on each login it copies file from /var/backups/up** and pasting to e**/motd/ dir.
Any hint how to make it persistent or Is there other way around?

You can’t make it persistent. As you mentioned, it gets constantly restored, so you rather need to be quick.

Any hint how to do that, or what i need to learn in order to do that?

You need to research what the service is used for, and when those files are used/executed. Once you know that, you need to be quick with triggering it after you modified the file :wink:

Finally got root, thank for your help guys

Rooted. Thanks for the creator!

Root turned me into un poco loco.

Feel free to PM! Make sure you state your obstacle. :smile:

Good box, if someone needs help PM.

Fyi - Root is the story of needing three shells to work. hope this isn’t a spoiler. Root was a PITA. Ctf-like all the way through. Cool once you figure it out. Thanks @Xh4H

I doubt about Root… I got root privilege but cannot use any commands even “id” or “whoami”. Just want to read the root flag.

It showed as bash: no job control in this shell.
For sure that I got “root@traceback:/#”

Already reset the machine…Still not working.

If someone knows the way out, please PM me or answer here.

EDITED: ROOTED

Rooted it. Some idiots were keep resetting and deleting the files but now rooted it. Thanks @FDS for the help.
Initial Foothold: Read the author text and OSINT.
User: See what you can do and please do it. :wink:
Root: Thats a little tricky. Analyse everything in the shell files folders everything and then play with time.
If stuck feel free to pm.

My first box on HTB, thank you very much @Xh4H for creating it and to all who wrote their hints in the forum!

As a beginner, it was very useful for me to watch a YouTube walkthrough of Postman by @ippsec to get the basics (there’s one of around 1h10mins).

To get user, the tips about enumeration were the most useful for me (relying also on the information in the video mentioned before and on some hints on the box).

For root, comments about using pspy and check out timing (along with the enumeration scripts used above) pointed me to the right direction and I could finish it thanks to @nyckelharpa 's comment!

Finally Rooted.

Hints:
USER: See what the author wants to tell you, Google and GTFObins !
ROOT: Enumeration is the key! See the process and search what files you can write.

Feel free to PM.

Enumerated and found users. Im not sure what to look for in my ldapsearch. Found port with a webservice. Im just not sure where I go from here…

Hey! I’m really sorry, but I think that I might need a huuuge help there… I’m trying to learn so I’m really new, and I’m also verry stuck…
So what I did :
nmap scan
dirbuster scan and found a few pages ‘test1.php’, ‘php-reverse-sell.php’, …
inspect the webpage, done some research on the creator…
Burpsuite
nessus won’t open for some reason…
tried a few things : “ssh Xh4H@10.10.10.181” and an all lot of passwords that didn’t work…
so I’m kinda begging for help right there… in fact almost a walk through I guess…
feel free to pm and if you have any free suggestions to learn pen testing I’m also interested !
Thx !!

Just got user n root on this box. This box made me decide to get VIP. The amount of resets were insane.

Hello, anyone have issues with adding their own SSH public key into the authorized_keys file for the W**A**** account?

I have added mine in but it still asks for a password.

hi
I try to add sy*in’s ssh key on the au********_k of w*****in but didn’t work
I don’t know if I’m on the right track. if someone could help me without giving me the answer of course, thank you !

edit : rooted

Rooted, fun little box, pm for nudges, show me what you got first.

ROOTED, thanks @luffy0 @xthanavit @BlueDolphin

PM if you have any questions

Going to be ceazy with this machine , close to root but !

@gavroche said:

Hey! I’m really sorry, but I think that I might need a huuuge help there… I’m trying to learn so I’m really new, and I’m also verry stuck…
So what I did :
nmap scan
dirbuster scan and found a few pages ‘test1.php’, ‘php-reverse-sell.php’, …

Some of these may be left behind by people who are attacking the box but dont really know what they are doing.

Unfortunately, there is no clean way for you to tell good from bad here. My suggestion is to wait a bit, then reboot the box. Hopefully you can scan it before the idiots upload 10 million pointless shells.

inspect the webpage, done some research on the creator…

This is the key. If you haven’t got an idea where to go next, do more research.

Burpsuite

You dont need this.

nessus won’t open for some reason…

You dont need this.

tried a few things : “ssh Xh4H@10.10.10.181” and an all lot of passwords that didn’t work…

This is unlikely to work.

so I’m kinda begging for help right there… in fact almost a walk through I guess…

Do more research on the creator. Take the clue from the page and look into that more. Then make your own list of possible words and search for that (Dirb/Gobuster/Dirbuster/Whatever).

feel free to pm and if you have any free suggestions to learn pen testing I’m also interested !

Practice makes perfect. There isn’t one single path to “learn” pentesting - it is a collection of knowledge on a variety of techniques. CTFs like HTB are awesome at practising techniques but aren’t always the same as learning pentesting.

If you want courses, Pluralsight are offering courses free in April which is worth looking into.

Thx !!

Spoiler Removed