Traverxec

Rooted this a while ago, finished writing the report for it.

My hints for all:
User: Google, use what’s in front of you. Then, RTFM. Can’t stress this enough, it will be confusing but eventually you’ll get it.
Root: Standard stuff, everything is in your room. Read it, search it, understand it. Take it over.

Feel free to message me if you want any hints or nudges!

rooted. PM for help

Well I got this after some major adjustments but I tried it another way and I cannot figure out why one works and the other did not

rooted, root was much easier than user albeit rather strange.

User Hint : Look for app specific exploits to get a foothold. Once you have a limited shell, look at the application config files to see where sensitive info may be hidden. Focus on alternatives to passwords.

Root Hint : Look at the files within the homedir of the user and look at the context under which the commands are being run. Play about with it and terminal size matters.

Thanks to the creator of the box as had alot of fun with this one.

Nugget!

whoami

root

plenty of clues in these forums…but let me know if you need any assistance.

got root much more faster then the first user.
tried too much usless stuff (start own web server etc.) to get the secret, but it was way more simple.

Thx for the box, pm me if you need a hint.

Can i get some suggestions if my screen is sooooooooooo tiny yet cant get something to invoke to use it…HELP!!

Update: Rooted…stupid cats

Fun one. In retrospect user was more of a pain than root. Root is right there and you know it’s right there, just getting it to work right is a bit of a pain. User I’d be lost without the forums.

Good box.

Guys, if you used .py exploit can you please dm me? Thanks

Finally ROOTED !
It’s my second box and that wasn’t easy for me, but I’m getting used to it

foothold: do your recon and search for CVEs and exploit it

user: read the conf and the manual carefully you should figure out something to get access to user’s dir, If you got it and still stuck maybe you can read the CVE source code too, it helped me to identify what I missed

root: GTFO bin and resizing are the key

hope that’s not spoiling, actually most of it are what I got from this discussion
feel free to PM if you got stuck

Hi all,

First box ever here. I have the initial foothold, but could use some help with the user.

I have the foothold and I have decrypted the hash for d***d. Can someone give me a hint as to where to go from here please?!

Type your comment> @Ch1m3r4 said:

I have the foothold and I have decrypted the hash for d***d. Can someone give me a hint as to where to go from here please?!

take closer look of man of the server

@JBuru said:
Hi all,

First box ever here. I have the initial foothold, but could use some help with the user.

normal enumeration things may give you some hints
You may use some enumeration tool and read other hints in this discussion

This is my first box . I got stuck with user. I got the password by cracking the hash i got from h*****d. I am confused where to use it and to proceed further

I’ve found what was hidden. Asked John about what I found. Stuck…
A PM would be amazing…

rooted.
if you are having trouble with root - remember to first resize, only then call the relevant portion of the command from that .sh script to force that j*****l to start with LESS (super hint - no need for pipes), only then GTFO… I’ve wasted 1 hour just to understand it but now it’s all clear…
feel free to pm if needed

Rooted :smiley:

All hints are already given. Just a request, please do not add custom scripts on /home directories. Use /tmp/ or /dev/shm/ directories and change existing scripts or files.
Enumerate everything that is in front of you.

@leeat1rrupti0n said:

This is my first box . I got stuck with user. I got the password by cracking the hash i got from h*****d. I am confused where to use it and to proceed further

That file has a specific use - google it and it will tell you where you need to use it.

If you are running a shell in the account of a webserver, look at the places the webserver can access. This will give you the folders you need to look at.

Thanks @TazWake you the best i wouldnt have solved this without your help. i really appreciate this