Nest

Hi all, after all of the work to get admin access to the box, i am struggling to find the location of the root.txt key. Any assistance would be appreciated

@Chickenhawk007 said:
Hi all, after all of the work to get admin access to the box, i am struggling to find the location of the root.txt key. Any assistance would be appreciated

Its in the same place it is in on every machine. There is a shortcut to it in the same location you found the user flag in just in case people go looking there for it, but yeah just go to the normal place.

@Chickenhawk007 said:

@VbScrub said:

@Chickenhawk007 said:

Its in the same place it is in on every machine. There is a shortcut to it in the same location you found the user flag in just in case people go looking there for it, but yeah just go to the normal place.

@VbScrub, Thx!! It was so close i just could not see the obvious.

CURSE YOU @VbScrub MY EYES ARE BURNING AND I STILL HAVENT FIGURED IT OUT ???

I cannot be held responsible for any physical or mental injuries sustained while attacking this box :sweat_smile:

I kinda spoiled root for myself but it was a pretty good machine. I didn’t think I’d learn something going into this but I actually did =)

Thanks for the box. Finally learned something about reversing and had fun. :smile:
\m/,

I love RE and this was an awesome box. @VbScrub congrats, this is one of the best machines I’ve done. For anyone who solved this the unintended way, definitely redo it.

I’m at the final mile. I’ve found the d*g password, accessed the high port service, run the new commands, and I know I have to download something, but I just couldn’t figure how to. Nudges are much appreciated!

Update: Many thanks to @Derezzed! Found the root flag

there is someone who can also help me in pm for the user
root … I think I’m on the right starda … (exe binary) open with stringer

I’ve been trying to compile the script on my PC for weeks now to no avail, can someone please help me with this. I have zero knowledge of visual basic.

@Lytes said:

I’ve been trying to compile the script on my PC for weeks now to no avail, can someone please help me with this. I have zero knowledge of visual basic.

If you are using Visual Studio, you can either find very good tutorials online or simply go to the build option.

Need a little help with root:

• Got a password from “empty” file D***********.txt
  • Can enter debug mode on the high port, but not sure how what I can see there might help me
  • Decompiled H******.exe, don’t have the db file, so I get the error about optional db file missing

Edit:

Nevermind, played around with available commands on the higher port and got the solution.

Hi All, any clues regarding 0 byte size file… Thanks

@Tapper21 said:

There are loads in this thread.

Start with looking at alternate ways Windows stores data.

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

@Tapper21 said:

There are loads in this thread.

Start with looking at alternate ways Windows stores data.

Thanx, I got the user.txt, I’m working on the root now… already have VB and compiled… need to figure out how does it work…

Can anyone please help me with the dotnetfiddle part for user? I’ve tried loading the files in dotnetfiddle and also VB but I just get errors. I’ve tried copying just the decrypt function and still get errors. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

I manage to decompile the xxxxx.exe, what am I looking at? Any hints please. Thanks!

Type your comment> @Tapper21 said:

I manage to decompile the xxxxx.exe, what am I looking at? Any hints please. Thanks!

I told people to look for something that looks familiar to the first part when you had to read code

Type your comment> @menorevs said:

Type your comment> @Tapper21 said:

I told people to look for something that looks familiar to the first part when you had to read code

Thanks! :slight_smile: