smb unexpected knowledge

Hi,
Recently I use smbclient to hack machine. Nevermind which one. The question was I need to access to a file with zero bytes. I found out thanks to some users clues that smb command (allinfo) reveals something regarding streams. And later via google I found out how to download that hidden stream.

see:

The question is: How can I reproduce this in Windows box? How can I generate this stream. Is it a security lack?

thank you

Alternate Data Streams have been around for ages, they are a component of the NTFS file system.

If you want to create an ADS, you just push your content to filename.exe:data.

For example type evilfile.exe > goodtextfile.txt:data.

ADS are most commonly used for the “mark of the web” you see on downloaded files.

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

Alternate Data Streams have been around for ages, they are a component of the NTFS file system.

If you want to create an ADS, you just push your content to filename.exe:data.

For example type evilfile.exe > goodtextfile.txt:data.

ADS are most commonly used for the “mark of the web” you see on downloaded files.

thank you

literally just search google for “how to create alternate data streams” and there’s a million articles and videos showing it in detail, 99% of which are from Windows machines.

I don’t mean this in a rude/insulting way, but why wouldn’t you just try googling that first instead of writing a post on here and waiting for replies? From your original post and the site you linked to, you already know these things are called alternate data streams. So just google how to create them and you’ll find step by step guides explaining it. Same applies to pretty much everything you want to learn about this kind of stuff, so its a good habit to get into

Type your comment> @VbScrub said:

literally just search google for “how to create alternate data streams” and there’s a million articles and videos showing it in detail, 99% of which are from Windows machines.

I don’t mean this in a rude/insulting way, but why wouldn’t you just try googling that first instead of writing a post on here and waiting for replies? From your original post and the site you linked to, you already know these things are called alternate data streams. So just google how to create them and you’ll find step by step guides explaining it. Same applies to pretty much everything you want to learn about this kind of stuff, so its a good habit to get into

Good Habits makes you strong …

Type your comment> @VbScrub said:

No offense but before asking I googling a bit. I found stuff about samba and download but to be honest I didn’t know exactly what to search. Sometimes you don’t find the suitable word and the results are not good. Apologies for that.