Nest

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

@Lu5i4 said:

I’ve found the hash of the 2nd user, and I have had a look to every file carefully. I’ve seen “recent files” paths but I can’t reach them and… I don’t know what to do with empty files, I’m stuck there… Any hint please?

Are you 100% sure you cant reach the recent files paths? Have you checked every possible way? (There is a better hint a few questions up in this thread)

I have connect through a higher port but I don’t know if this is the way for root…

Good box.

Thanks @VbScrub - Really enjoyed this one. I had to dig out old skills from years gone by. Took me back some!

I did it mostly with Linux. I also used a windows virtualbox for some reverse engineering and looking deeper into the river.

This one covers a good few skills indeed, but there is one part that I thought was very ctf and you won’t know it unless you already came across it before. I got stuck on it for a while until a friendly hint reminded me of the trick.

pm for help.

ROOTED!!! Thanks a lot to @TazWake and @FastDuck for the help.

Rooted box.
I enjoyed this box because it is the second Windows box for me, i can develop skill using basic tools.

What i want to say like hint if you are stuck in some point and you dont know where move on, check where you was, check your files in detail :wink:

If you are blocked feel free to ask nudge (:

Type your comment> @TheBigfoot said:

Hi all, can someone DM with some advice please? i’ve got things from a project and used them to make something in VB, I’ve tried to add an output but it runs and displays nothing.
I’ve not used VB before so struggling to understand how to get it to write out properly. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

EDIT I think i’ve got a password… P*******S is this right or am i way off?

to display something:

console.Writeln(yourvariablehere)

However, if you run VisualStudio, you’d better use debugger at check the local variables window to check values.

I guess is what you are actually asking, isn’t it?

I like the puzzle-solving mentality needed to get a hold of the machine. It was beautifully crafted from initial foothold → User → Root. I found one tool which bodes well for user and root. Windows VM helps you out so it is good practice to save time and utilize the best of all OS’es. PM for nudges.

Spoiler Removed

Type your comment> @Darvidor said:

Type your comment> @TheBigfoot said:

Hi all, can someone DM with some advice please? i’ve got things from a project and used them to make something in VB, I’ve tried to add an output but it runs and displays nothing.
I’ve not used VB before so struggling to understand how to get it to write out properly. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

EDIT I think i’ve got a password… P*******S is this right or am i way off?

to display something:

console.Writeln(yourvariablehere)

However, if you run VisualStudio, you’d better use debugger at check the local variables window to check values.

I guess is what you are actually asking, isn’t it?

Ah I had to google your suggestion but the local variables windows is soo much easier (once its open)

I’ve now got a passphrase and password - thanks for the help!

Ooook, got user, now going for root!!

System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: ‘Padding is invalid and cannot be removed.’

anyone know how to get past this?

Type your comment> @th3g3ntleman said:

Got the TempUser and password but can see all the users in the Users disk. Getting permission denied while trying to access the folders. Can anyone give me a hint on where to go from here ?

Maybe there is more than just the Users folders to find. Keep digging in all available shares.

@walk said:

System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: ‘Padding is invalid and cannot be removed.’

anyone know how to get past this?

Start here and work backwards: Nest - #502 by VbScrub - Machines - Hack The Box :: Forums

Anyone on that can give some help about the “empty” file

@menorevs said:

Anyone on that can give some help about the “empty” file

Any Help on how to browse through the telenet session? I used D***G with the password i found from the empty file bubt when i issue a command i got the following message:
Invalid database configuration found. Please contact your system administrator

Any nudge please?

@FDS said:

Any Help on how to browse through the telenet session? I used D***G with the password i found from the empty file bubt when i issue a command i got the following message:
Invalid database configuration found. Please contact your system administrator

Any nudge please?

Use a different command. Try help to see the list of commands available to you.

Rooted. I found this box very straightforward with enough enumeration.

Got a little tripped up at the end after getting the D*G password. The next step requires looking within and “going back to the source”.

In response to the final flag: it was my pleasure :slight_smile: Thanks for the fun box

Rooted. Fun box! Can be solved without the need of shells.

Feel free to message for hints/nudges.

Type your comment

I got User and Root on the box. It was a fun box. I had to use windows for decoding. I tried to bake a code for the passwords but that unfortunately failed. Can someone point me in the right direction to do this with chef?