Baby

Man, this is one of the easiest challenges I ever had in HTB. No tools needed, just use the computer alternative of the writing pad :wink:

Hi, I’m new in Linux and I don’t know many of features and tools that it offers. Can you give me a hint how to solve this challenge please?

I would take the time to understand RE a bit and play with the tools available before diving in too hard.
@macomatom
You can feel free to find me on Discord as heuvosenfuego#1515 and I’ll walk you through.

Anyone else having a problem opening the download? I cant unzip it. Gives error
Please check the store archive

Type your comment> @Freak2600 said:

I’ve Just checked the archive. Everything is fine

I never did reversing but have some experience programming in C so it took me a bit long, about 10-15 minutes to solve this challenge.

I opened the file with v** and found a key and the flag as well but because of encoding it wasn’t usable.

Chef told me what file type it was, used the key and challenge solved.

Tried h** **p as well with Chef but the flag wasn’t usable that way. Did some research on Big Brother and learned how to use r which I’ll be using in the next challenges as well.

Type your comment> @Freak2600 said:

I have an error too :
skipping: baby unsupported compression method 99

Is it part of the challenge ? Because on windows I found the key and what seems to be the flag. But on linux there is this problem.
anyone ?

@IvanGlinkin said:
(Quote)
Totally agreed. And remember, it’s just a file that can be read, wrote and …

… used to file the bars of your cell and escape in search of the legendary Monkey Island?

Thanks for hint @IvanGlinkin and the others :slight_smile:

Spoiler Removed

it was my first revers engineering task and it was fun!

Type your comment> @Ganishka said:

It took me longer to unzip the file than solve the challenge. If you are having trouble unzipping this on a linux box, try using 7zip to unpack it.

bigup

I can see the flag with my “tool” but some parts are missing/unreadable… Is it just a matter of tool settings ?

ok, flag found :slight_smile:

Type your comment

Going into this never RE anything before. Overall super simple and fun challenge. If anyone needs help you can PM me.

Nudge: Download Ghidra and look up some walkthroughs for other CTFs using it to get familiar with the tool. Also very slight programming experience will help ( By slight I only mean conditional statements)

The challenge mentions 4 ways to solve. I’ve found 3 (abbreviated so as not to give it all away):

1. strings, then run
  2. r2
  3. strings | tr | grep

Anybody have any different methods?

EDIT: If these method descriptions are too specific, let me know- I’m new to htb but it seems like this level of description is not too much of a spoiler.

*facepalm* I thought extracting the archive WAS the challenge :tongue:

same @BatBato

Type your comment> @alexre said:

same @BatBato

If you haven’t already figured it out, Google is your friend with that zip error.

I did the whole thing on a kali linux vm