Nest

Type your comment> @aiak0s said:

Type your comment> @kan3k1 said:

(Quote)
And from windows the same message…

Thinking like a pentester I ask myself whether I care if the program actually works or not. Why am I even bothering with that file and how do I get what I need?

Newbie here. Can someone give me a hint on how to get started with this one?

nmap -p- 10.10.10.178

Spoiler Removed

Spoiler Removed

Type your comment> @TestUserx said:

so far i managed to get the .exe file and the empty txt file, i’ve de-compiled the exe and it looks similar to the project found previously (only different language), but i can’t figure out what’s the next step from here.

Try to find something good inside that exe. Also try to get something out of that empty file.

. @alez said:

Just did this box. It is easy and learns some tricks. In my case I’ve seen them before in other places. Took more time installing stuff on windows than resolving

See this is the kind of response I was expecting and why I marked the box as Easy. If anything I was worried it would be too easy. But it seems the majority of people here are complaining its too difficult for an easy box, so in future I’ll have to just mark machines like this as medium and people like @alez are going to wonder why it was so easy for a medium machine lol

@JTNYDV said:

NOTES:

• There will be no shell, till you get to root, so don’t even try.
  • The machine has all the information, no need for the guess work. Keep digging.

These two points above bear repeating.

I feel like maybe other machines on here have conditioned people into thinking they need to get a shell straight away with any new creds they get. You don’t actually need a shell at all on this machine to get user or root.

Also so many people seem to be expecting to be able to google everything they encounter. This machine is not like that - it is designed to just require a bit of enumeration and then you can put everything together yourself (apart from that “empty” file, but I had to have something in there that might be a bit tricky)

My first machine,it is freaking me.Need Help!

Just got user! …which might not sound like a big deal, but this is only my 3rd HTB machine overall and my first windows machine, and until an hour ago I had zero understanding of VB. Feeling pretty chuffed with myself!

On to root!

Can someone nudge me on the empty file. I found it but got no clue what to do with it. I’m on linux and would prefer not to setup a windows vm, but if it’s much easier I might.

Can someone give me a little hint? I cannot use the lower port, it keeps saying NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED. I could telnet into the higher port, I found the files but cannot download it. Any hint would be much apprecihated!

rooted not an easy box big thx to @FuxSocy

Type your comment> @J4ckTh3R1pper said:

Can someone give me a little hint? I cannot use the lower port, it keeps saying NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED. I could telnet into the higher port, I found the files but cannot download it. Any hint would be much apprecihated!

Have you exploit all the way you could use that port ?
How did you find the files btw if the lower port isn’t used

Some help, for User 2, I have the files, I have a hash, but after passing 64, it seems to be missing, something. At least I know if I’m doing well or starting over

Greetings.

I’ve tried two different online compilers. I keep getting the error message “‘Utils’ is not declared. It may be inaccessible due to its protection level.” Google doesn’t provide a solution. Is there something extra I need to put in the code?

Type your comment> @squirrelpizza said:

I’ve tried two different online compilers. I keep getting the error message “‘Utils’ is not declared. It may be inaccessible due to its protection level.” Google doesn’t provide a solution. Is there something extra I need to put in the code?

send me a PM with a link to the code you’re using if the online service you’re using lets you share your work, or a screenshot or copy n paste if not

@VbScrub is it intended to use the nsa tool to reverse that binary

Type your comment> @FuxSocy said:

Type your comment> @TestUserx said:

so far i managed to get the .exe file and the empty txt file, i’ve de-compiled the exe and it looks similar to the project found previously (only different language), but i can’t figure out what’s the next step from here.

Try to find something good inside that exe. Also try to get something out of that empty file.

the only good thing i can find in that exe is that it pretty much does a similar thing to the vb p****ct. what i can’t figure out is

1. where does it get the encrypted string’s value from?
  2. what to do with the empty file? (i’ve tried hashing it, running strings on it) unless it acts as a flag for the exe (although i highly doubt that since i can’t find any reference to it in the code), i’m all out of ideas.

Looks like I got User faster than expected. When I found that project files last night I thought, that I would have to work on them the whole evening/night. But it turns out that it took me longer to copy the individual files over, than it took me to get the password :blush:
I really like the box so far. Thank you @VbScrub

this is my 2nd Windows box and on the 1st I only have user-flag so far. Lets see if I can get root flag here … :smile: