"Blue team" certifications

@da1y
I’m working on moving the opposite direction. Currently in a blue role, but have done a bit of offensive style work to facilitate that.

Depending on the company and/or role you can get by without the certification provided you could demonstrate the correct skill set. We’ve had openings open for over a year without being filled not because there weren’t people without certs - but because they just didn’t have the knowledge/skills/weren’t teachable.

Certs are great, but practical experience (even when it’s only in a homelab) is better. I didn’t have a cert before getting my current gig - but I am a polyglot when it comes to programming, have enterprise software in my lab, SE engagement experience, etc.

CEH is relevant though. It’s a requirement for security clearance and government jobs (regardless of what anyone thinks about it). As a result, a lot of HR people look at what the government is doing and copy paste without input from their technical heads.

The only reason I’d look at picking CEH up on my own dime is if I decided I wanted to go back to the land of clearances. If you don’t, it probably isn’t going to matter.