Timeline for Box Retirement

Is there a timeline for retiring boxes? I’d like to know when a box is scheduled for retirement so I can prioritize the soonest ones before they go.

or is it that boxes are retired whenever a writeup becomes available?

There is not a published timeline as I know of… every week when a new box arrives another one is retired. The twitter message that announces the new box also has which box will be retired. It’s an older one but not always the oldest one. Usually the one retired has a similar difficulty to the new one. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

In my experience boxes are retired based on difficulty. Easy boxes may stay up for a few months, whereas insane boxes will stay for longer. I haven’t compared to see how much this is true though.

Type your comment> @clubby789 said:

In my experience boxes are retired based on difficulty. Easy boxes may stay up for a few months, whereas insane boxes will stay for longer. I haven’t compared to see how much this is true though.

I’m with @clubby789 on this one. The “Insane” machines tend to stick around for nearly ~180 days or so (from what I’ve observed, don’t quote me on that) while some “Easy” and “Medium” boxes have retired in as short as ~100 days (once again, don’t quote me lol). I think this is a decent system, but it’d be interesting (in my opinion) if there was a more solidified method for retiring the machines.

Type your comment> @farbs said:

it’d be interesting (in my opinion) if there was a more solidified method for retiring the machines.

Agreed. I see no good reason not to, with the exception that a writeup may be leaked early but even then, this seems like a fringe case.