M0rsArchive

I need to know what was in the author head when he was doing this challenge :smiley:

1 Like

Respect me first ;D

I somehow enjoyed this… :stuck_out_tongue:

Made it about 15 times by hand before I realized the depth this could go. Fun, but I assume I am missing an automated decoding tool?

Type your comment> @imag1ne said:

Made it about 15 times by hand before I realized the depth this could go. Fun, but I assume I am missing an automated decoding tool?

Same. Not seeing anything pre-built, assuming something like PIL needed? The varying colors would seem to throw a lot of extra complexity into just recognizing shapes, no? So I too assume I’m not searching for the right keywords on Google here.

Any little hints/nudges. Recursive solution would seem to be needed, but getting the code from the images as they change size, color palette, etc seems very complex if not having done image processing programming before.

I went after PIL and pytesseract (can’t get it to work) but that seems capable of OCR. From there you could loop and process morse, but certainly wouldn’t rate that as easy

Enjoyed the programming challenge! Was fun!

For anyone needing help, PIL is all you need to solve this. The images may all be different, but individually they are simple and if you create the right set of rules you should be able to read them all with minimal code.

Type your comment> @snuggles said:

Enjoyed the programming challenge! Was fun!

For anyone needing help, PIL is all you need to solve this. The images may all be different, but individually they are simple and if you create the right set of rules you should be able to read them all with minimal code.

Thank you! Just seeing that you were able to do that with PIL is very helpful and does not spoil anything. :slight_smile:

Great challenge to test your programming skills. Indeed, PIL is all you need to solve this, but you have to get a little bit creative.

Very cool challenge, I enjoyed the process, and found a cool but easy way to bypass the always changing values.
Thank you @swani really cool one :wink:

It looks daunting at first, but it is actually not too difficult.

The key is to simplify everything as much as you can before processing.

Honestly one of the most fun challenges I’ve done in a while.
PIL really is all you need. Just don’t overthink what you’re trying to do.
PM for help.

Tried manually doing the first level to get a feel, but even that password doesn’t seem to work. I think I need a nudge.

Anyone else having trouble with file 986? PW in image does not match the archive if you do it the same way as for the other files…

…nvm, I was retarded. Thanks @HKLM

Type your comment> @Ljugtomten said:

Anyone else having trouble with file 986? PW in image does not match the archive if you do it the same way as for the other files…

For those wondering, I had the same issue and it had to be in lowercase.

By the way, great challenge ! Very nice to train your dev skills.
I won’t call it easy challenge tho.

@Crafty said:

Type your comment> @Ljugtomten said:

For those wondering, I had the same issue and it had to be in lowercase.

Had that issue too.

Finally finished this one. Not too difficult once I actually read the name of the challenge. Annoyingly, after the first 200 archives, it would fail to read the password every 100 or so and I’d have to restart it, not sure why.

Is there anyone have trouble with file 497 ? My script doesn’t give a correct password. I tried to extract the morse code manually, and i got sihhhi************siihssh, but still incorrect.

It was a fun coding exercise. Working out an algorithm to distinguish the Morse code pixel from the background pixel was especially rewarding after you realized the colors may all looked similar to the naked eye until you zoomed in to the pixel level.

Type your comment> @htw6666 said:

Is there anyone have trouble with file 497 ? My script doesn’t give a correct password. I tried to extract the morse code manually, and i got sihhhi************siihssh, but still incorrect.

The trick is you need to make your OCR function adaptable for any change it may happen in the image. Try to see what patterns appear and apply them in order to decode it correctly

Was fun… :slight_smile: around 100 lines of python
@Crafty thanks for the hint