Obscurity

found .py file by hand… i just read the webpage… but my python knowledge is lacking here… could somebody give me a nudge? i’m spending way to much time on this step of understanding the py file…

Rooted!

Simple / Fun box for me.

User: Read, write & execute on your own machine and you’ll find it
Root: Take a closer look at the command, it’s fast and simple

PM if you are confused

Rooted!
Nice box, I love when you have to reverse something.
Tip: once you find that file, everything will be straightforward.
As always, try in your own box before exploit anything there.

I am still struggling with this box, I can’t get the shell to connect. It works locally but doesn’t connect. i am lost, i need help

Still trying to find the “key”, played around with the script for too long now with no progress. Is it something we find, or something that can be inferred? Any nudge would be much appreciated.

EDIT: got user, thanks @phycomp for the nudge! Made it so much harder on myself by not actually reading the file, lol

I’ve found the script, but I’m not entirely certain what it does. I am not looking for the answer so much as a nudge as to what I should be researching next. I have some small understanding of the language, but could use a little help on how to understand constructing an input that triggers an unwanted response from the server. Have tried a few random curls to see if something interesting happens, but no dice.

Any hint about foothold

Type your comment> @ghost5egy said:

Any hint about foothold

On the main page you can find direction (file in dir), you can try to find this ‘directory’ manually or use small wordlist of very common dirs. It is important to look at the very specific error message.

Type your comment> @commercialeer said:

I’ve found the script, but I’m not entirely certain what it does. I am not looking for the answer so much as a nudge as to what I should be researching next. I have some small understanding of the language, but could use a little help on how to understand constructing an input that triggers an unwanted response from the server. Have tried a few random curls to see if something interesting happens, but no dice.

If you talking about first script (from web server) - look for comments in code from author, if developer does not particularly understand how something should be done, then this something have high probability of being vulnerable.
And you can look at how to make HTTP requests with python requests lib, it is doing some staff for you, so you can input raw (no encoding) uri’s and they will be properly understood by this server.

Question about root. I think I know how what to do regarding the file in t*p. But I cant seem to the run the py file without getting permission errors. Any help?
NVM I was being stupid

Rooted! had some real fun with user. Root was a bit disappointing (too easy).
Hints:
Foothold: don’t rush with that command and that syntax only because you have seen ippsec videos and it worked. Take time to understand the tool you want to use and what to fuzz
User: just a funny puzzle game. remember that sometimes copypasting might corrupt your bytes!
Root: nothing to say. just run the thing and you are done
Pm for nuggets!

huh… that was really fun…
and i’m so ashamed that i first stepped into the trap of bruteforcing check+out…
(maybe thinking is over-estimated)…
there is really no big logic involved or great mathematical skills needed…
just keep your bytes clean and dont ruin them by copy-paste

Wow @c1cada just seen the way you got something, how long did that take? with ry?

Any hint for root?

Type your comment> @Abdelwahed said:

Any hint for root?

look at the script and what it’s doing… saying much more is not really possible

I had an insanely hard time with this one… But got it with some hints in the end… Was fun but in no way easy for someone with little python knowledge… But thats what made it fun was not knowing…

Really new and excited to get going with htb. Very very stuck on initial foothold can’t find the directory where the py file is held. Tried many wordlists could not find it. please can anyone help me with a nudge? I feel i must be overthinking it

edit - I found it finally thanks to @phycomp very helpful! was missing one piece to my fuzzing. On to the rest!

@dontknow thanx pro I have low priv shell
I loved this box
Foothold : tricky one
search analyze exploit
User : read the code reverse it
Root : tricky 2
Read the code analyze it
watch command is your friend
Thanks box creator I loved it and learned alot

Rooted.

Interesting box, the difficulty is very subjective for this one in my opinion.

PM if needed :slight_smile: