Note keeping tool

keepnote / Cherrytree - this is good for CTF/challenges… self contained

Microsoft One Note - I use this for a general scrapbook/wiki off stuff like cheatsheet guides. quick simple to slap stuff in

Notepad++ - cant go wrong with text files and a good folder structure and named screenshots. i typically use this for pentests. others like dradius, canvas, dart, serpico are ok but i feel over complicate things…

pentest.ws looks good and i want to try the self hosted version could be good.

I just use notepad++

Type your comment> @shifty0g said:

keepnote / Cherrytree - this is good for CTF/challenges… self contained

Microsoft One Note - I use this for a general scrapbook/wiki off stuff like cheatsheet guides. quick simple to slap stuff in

Notepad++ - cant go wrong with text files and a good folder structure and named screenshots. i typically use this for pentests. others like dradius, canvas, dart, serpico are ok but i feel over complicate things…

pentest.ws looks good and i want to try the self hosted version could be good.

I am still waiting for the selfhosted version also. They are also in the works to get a shared encounter going also for a team type attack. They will hopefully soon be everything that I need. I just wish the did Inline Code Snippets instead of just Block Code, and have the ability to add screenshots to the hosts notes and not just in the report section.

i tested keepnote and cherrytree, I prefer cherrytree. Maybe i havent found it, but why dont they add a screen capture tool ?

Cherrytree ftw. Free, offline, open-source, Markdown, hierarchical, font support, password protection, searching through everything… what else is there I could possibly need?

I hate anything that is online-only like pentest.ws because it makes assumptions about my network setup. Sometimes I want to work on stuff offline or away from wifi, and then what use is that service to me?

1 Like

Type your comment> @dodo said:

https://pentest.ws

it’s great.

Can you please share your template for CTF’s / PT?

@limbernie said:

Boostnote. I like it because of Markdown.

This looks very interesting. Going to check it out, thanks!

I also used Boostnote because of the markdown support and it was a really great note-keeping tool. But because I wanted something that I could access from any device I am now using GitBook which also supports markdown format!

In the past I’ve also used jekyll which is very easy to setup locally. Also a jekyll-blog can be easily published and integrated with github anytime which is very convenient.

vim/text files/folder structure/git?

you may want to use Joplin if you want multidevice/markdown/e2e encryption/tags, I’ve moved from cherrytree and I’m happy for now

Type your comment> @dodo said:

https://pentest.ws

Been after something just like this. Looks great, thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

notion.so Way underrated IMO much better than oneNote or evernote. More features, tagging notes, Wikis…

I use vscodium. Nice Interface, easy to use, multiple tabs. You can work in a directory and open multiple file easy and quick.

I was using this, now searching for an alternative for Linux. Switched back from mac to Linux…

Hi all, if anyone wants, just created CherryTree template for all HTB machines here: HTB.ctd - Google Drive

If it is actiual now: i’ve developed “Pentest Collaboration Framework” for taking notes/collaboration at work.

Gitlab: Invuls / Pentest projects / Pentest-Collaboration-Framework · GitLab
Chat with latest updates: https://t.me/PentestCollaborationFramework

1 Like

I use the free version of Evernote, The Web Clipper is very good. You can create notebooks and then categorize notes within each notebook.

Obsidian without hesitation.