Traverxec

This was fun. Owning user was a bit tricky at first but looking back it was a rather straightforward process.

• Hint for user: read configs and enumerate
  • Hint for root: read the code and gtfo

Feel free to PM me for help!

Thanks to @YaSsInE rooted it, i understood that i need somehow to stop itā€¦ but never thought this wayā€¦ Funny machineā€¦ learned quite a lot from rooting.

Hints for user :
-Once you are in, read the manual. Read it till you find something interesting.

Hints for root :

-The answer is in front of you the moment you get user. I went down a rabbit hole and I can understand why people might overthink it, even despite checking GTFO Bins. You need a little trick not so obvious.

Rooted this box!!

• Foothold: No hints needed, itā€™s too easy!
  • User: The first obvious thing youā€™ll find is probably not what you need; Read the contents of the files in the n****** directory and youā€™ll get thereā€¦
  • Root: Find an obvious file for your way to root. It took me unnesasary time because of a less thingā€¦

Thanks to my fellow countryman @ToneDef :slight_smile:

Rooted! Once the port issues settled down it was a fun box! Thank you @jkr!

Tips:

Foothold: read other comments posted here, enumerate and you are in

User: Ditto, read the manual, understand how things works and are set up this will point you to where you need to go

Root: GTFO Bins and just seeing what is right there is all you need.

General advice: keep it simple, enumerate, read, google, take stock of what you have (often right in front of you).

Rooted :stuck_out_tongue:
For the user you should read a config file and the manual of the service, only the thing that matters.

For root, Swagshopā€™s root had almost the same approach as this one.

Great box, finally rooted. Learn to remember my ssh toolbox

Iā€™ve found the creds and read the contents of n******* dir but canā€™t see anything to use. Is it the ht****** section or the ho****** section that I should be looking at? I noticed I can view a private space but no where to use creds.

any nudges from here?

EDIT: Iā€™ve manged to find another interesting dir, the hunt continues :slight_smile:

got user, but needed some help to clear my mind!

Root is trollā€¦but I love it.

Rooted,

Feel free to PM if you need nudges

Rooted.

Fun box, straight forward.

Rooted, many thanks to terrats for the last root hint.
Didnā€™t know pipes could do that :slight_smile:

My feedback for Traverxec:
The box is almost straightforward the annoying thing is that web server keeps dying not sure if that is because people are dossing or some kind of weird unstable machine.
anyway here is how I see the steps to root.

initial: recent CVE after light enumeration gives you quick win

User: enumeration of of the door that let you in gives you a bit of usefull infoā€¦ for me this is sligtly CTF-y and requires a bit of guessing but once found gives you the user with a bit of extracting/cracking

Root*: quick enumeration would lead you to somethingā€¦ if you are not familiar google it, try it locally and go back and root the box :slight_smile:

• Make sure you do not maximize your terminal screen a lot ā€¦ sometimes LESS maximizing is better :slight_smile:

PM if you are stuck

Any assistance with root? I know about GBs, the dir to place the file in and that p** has something to do with it but unsure from here

haha. first the box is down for pretty much most of first day. Now I know exactly how to get rootā€¦ and it doesnt work. I know it is the way but it doesnt workā€¦ so annoying.

To echo a previous comment, you need to try a different terminal if you are stuck at trying to get root and arenā€™t making headway. Things will function/display differently.

No idea why this is the case, but it cost me well over an hour of time.

Type your comment> @ALK said:

For people struggling with root. remember its not always a good idea to maximize ur screen :wink:

this unblocks me for root flag, thanks br0

Im kinda lost, got d**** credentials, but no idea where to go next

Just rooted !

Thanks for the machine @jkr ! I wonder where did you get the inspiration for the root flag, it reminds me one of the levels of bandit, the one that i struggled with the most !

I say something strange when i got in the user, hints from the guys on this thread helped me a lot ! i think they provide enough info already ! I would chat with someone who got root too ! the usual thing that i do didnā€™t worked, but i just tried something that seemed weird on my enum and it worked, coupled with the hints on the forum and got it !

Would love to hear from you @jkr, Thanks again !