[CRYPTO] Walzer

@IhsanSencan said:

Even the flag format was not normal. :smiley:

Yeah, it shows the the author didnā€™t really have a good plan, they just chose some algos and parameters and ran with it.

Anyway I got it, maybe its worst ever crypto challenge in htb.

If need help ? you can send pm.

Yeah, I donā€™t know man, but I share the same opinion as my friends @R4J @sampriti @xct . How this challenge got accepted is beyond me and Iā€™m really pissed off at whoever tested this challenge. We shouldnā€™t be mad at the creator, he tried to teach us something. He made a mistake and owned it. But who the ā– ā– ā– ā–  tested this ā– ā– ā– ā–  and thought like ā€œoh yea, this is fucking good, lets smash 40pts on top of itā€. Well guess what. Itā€™s fucking easy if itā€™s fucking solved with a guide. To all the testers, please at least try the challenges without guide. You guys arenā€™t perfect, we know that. But donā€™t ā– ā– ā– ā–  us over like this.

PS: I have a cool crypto challenge for you guys. Guess the number from 1-1337. Send me a DM with your guess. First blood receives a star sticker that says ā€œmaster at guessingā€.

UPDATE: Iā€™m getting a lot of messages of people asking for hints. Here you go: The number is between 1 and 1337.

UPDATE 2: Iā€™m getting a lot of messages whether 1 and 1337 are included. No, they are not.

UPDATE 3: Hereā€™s a hint. Reverse the following piece of code and you will get the flag.

import random
print("HTB{%i}" % random.randint(2, 1337))
while challenge.submitted:
    htb.release(challenge)

You may be right, you may be wrong. But you should really support your opinions more politely. Thatā€™s being said, I leave you all alone.

Spoiler Removed

Sorry, I guess :frowning:

Spoiler Removed

My bad. Never thought this could be tagged as spoiler.

What threw me off is that in Waltz you do a certain pattern and then repeat it kind of ā€œbackwardsā€, but that never happens here. Youā€™re just doing the ā€œequivalentā€ to the forward movement a few times. I honestly donā€™t think itā€™s a bad challenge, but there could have been more information provided on the steps involved, since at least one of them is found literally through guessing and/or bruteforce.

Spoiler Removed

Lol it was not a spoiler. It was other text encoded the same way.

THIS JUST WAS THE WOREST CHALLANGE EVER WITH THE WOREST FLAG FORMAT I SEEN

Type your comment> @sampriti said:

Maybe I will create a challenge that requires you to guess the number I thought of in my head between 1 and 1000 and call it information asymmetry. For fucks sake.

ITS 42 ISNā€™T IT - YOU KNOW Iā€™M RIGHT - GIVE ME THE FLAG NAO

Snake did nothing wrong

is waltz related to music,dance or just completely random

@0xEA31 said:
As you may have noticed in the video, basic Walzer is a repeated sequence of three steps. The teacher calls them ā€œstepā€, ā€œsideā€, ā€œcloseā€.

Since easy cryptography is involved, you should map these steps with some kind of basic cypher algorithms.

Looking at the starting position, an educated eye should catch the first ā€œstepā€ immediately. What about the others? You choose, but choose wisely because, after three steps, you have to be in a different place, but in the same position.

And remember: youā€™re dancing, come on donā€™t be shy, let the music flow and continue. After all, the teacher says: ā€œwe can keep that going until the end of the songā€. And we do know when the music stops, donā€™t we?

WaltzBeat

I hereby want to apologize to the author and the HTB staff for my rage. We shouldnā€™t have raged this hard about the challenge and expressed ourselves in a more polite way. After all this is just a mistake, and we all make mistakes. Letā€™s not discourage the author from making more challenges! Iā€™m sure he got much more in store than this!

The challenge playtesters need to learn what ā€œcryptoā€ means. Apart from Optimus Prime, the last 4 crypto challenges released have all been dumb guessing games, and a poor reflection of how fascinating and educational good crypto CTF challenges can be.

Still have no idea, should I try rotation and combinations of all pieces of base64 codes?

A worthy replacement for snake

Any help with this? I have no idea what the hints mean

I dont think this challenge is as bad as the above comments make out. Yes the hints are terrible, and yes Iā€™d prefer more modern crypto challenges, but the actual meat of this challenge practices basic skills.

@WarrenVos - (and any one else having a problem starting) Look for a pattern in the bytes after the first decoding, think about what that might imply :wink:

Hello everyone, this is my first posft.

Iā€™m struggling with this challenge, how can I ask for a hint here? Iā€™ve came across some kind of flat that has a heart (<3) but dunno how to continue.

Any help is welcome!