Emdee five for life

I finally did it! Learnt a lot about Python and BeautifulSoup.

one extra space character cost me several hours in my bash script :frowning: but got there in the end :smile:

just completed using plain old javascript :stuck_out_tongue:

for php script , its slow, but good enough
real 0m0.588s
user 0m0.001s
sys 0m0.022s

Got the flag. Nice challenge, got to practice requests which I hadn’t done much of in python.

Spoiler Removed

When writing a python script, remember that the data goes as dictionary in the POST request, not as a string with “hash=value”

If you are doing it on the command line and are sure you are doing it correctly, just keep trying, because I was getting too slow, and then finally got it, so it must be right on the edge of whatever the timer is.

I wrote it in php, very simple but had to use a vps as my home connection was just too slow.

Question is, how to understand, problem in connection or with data that I send? I wrote 2 scripts: on Ruby and Crystal, both is fail. Maybe something wrong with my hash, but I get only Too Slow =(

Can I dm someone for a hint? I’m still ‘too slow’, but I think I’ve crossed off the following:

• Sending proper md5 digest
  • Keeping connection open
  • Biscuits

@TedLogan89 I cooked up a Python script for this challenge - I’m not a Python expert in any way, but found enough info by scanning through some Stack Overflow threads (and the documentation they pointed to) to get the job done.

I’m using a bash script with curl, md5sum and egrep… yet I’m unable to make it on time!
(and yes… I’m including the cookies in the POST)

This is the time it takes me to get the initial page:

root@chromeos:/# time curl -s  docker.hackthebox.eu:30638 -o /dev/null

real	0m0.108s
user	0m0.012s
sys	0m0.007s

The whole thing finishes in 0.083s but it looks like it’s not fast enough!

root@chromeos:/# time /emde.sh 
* Rebuilt URL to: http://docker.hackthebox.eu:30638/
*   Trying 139.59.202.58...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to docker.hackthebox.eu (139.59.202.58) port 30638 (#0)
> POST / HTTP/1.1
> Host: docker.hackthebox.eu:30638
> User-Agent: curl/7.58.0
> Accept: */*
> Cookie: PHPSESSID=4lt1dtmf0a6s7b4lb6brak2j96
> Content-Length: 37
> Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
> 
* upload completely sent off: 37 out of 37 bytes
< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 00:11:37 GMT
< Server: Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu)
< Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
< Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate
< Pragma: no-cache
< Vary: Accept-Encoding
< Content-Length: 419
< Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
< 
[...]
<h3 align='center'>ursMxuZHh1OLGjp4TEKI</h3><p align='center'>Too slow!</p><center>[...]
* Connection #0 to host docker.hackthebox.eu left intact
input was: OfrcSp4to0zF95l1j9X9 , hash was 072dbd734eb7d40e17d9b3170b577de9

real	0m0.083s
user	0m0.023s
sys	0m0.017s

I also tried a couple of online bash interpreters (the ones that recognize curl) and got the same result:

https://repl.it/languages/bash

Anyone has been able to capture the flag for this challenge today?

Have separately verified that:

• Cookie is being included in POST (Using requests and preserving session, so it is auto-resent)
  • hash is correct

Still getting “Too Slow”. Not sure what I am missing. Any hints/help would be much appreciated.

Type your comment> @msimiste said:

Have separately verified that:

• Cookie is being included in POST (Using requests and preserving session, so it is auto-resent)
  • hash is correct

Still getting “Too Slow”. Not sure what I am missing. Any hints/help would be much appreciated.

Im in the same boat. Went so far as to get a VPS in london to get closer to the source and still no luck. I’d like a sanity check that its still possible.

I tried to do it with a bash script but It’s just not happening, takes about 150ms to finish, is curl just too slow? Would love if somebody who completed it with a bash script could take a look at my script or share theirs.

For those of you who are referring to speed. Making the script run faster is not the solution. Im not terribly good with bash so I’ll use python as an example. Whenever you make a request it is a completely new connection for every request. The trick is to send 1 request only. good thing to look into.
requests.sessions() ← golden goose

This is driving me crazy, my bash script wasn’t working so I wrote a python solution. Using requests.session() as you said, hashlib and beautiful soup (a million times easier than my regex solution) and it also doesn’t work. So I slapped it on a VPS to look if my internet is the problem, still doesn’t work. So I looked for a writeup and copied the guy’s code to my vps and even that still says too slow, even though the script apparently worked for the dude who wrote the writeup. So I’m pretty sure both of my scripts should work and the script from the write up as well, none of them get me the flag and I have no idea what the problem could be.

I am in the same boat. Used hashlib, Beautiful Soup, requests.session() for both get() and post(). Used tcpdump to verify the headers, cookies etc for both get() and post().

I’m in the same situation. I have done two scripts, one python script and one bash scripts. I’ve used wireshark to verify communication between server and client, cookies, headers times, etc… md5 hash is correct too. I don’t know what to think about it… some help?