Craft

Can anyone nudge me in the direction of the correct escaping/syntax on the RCE? I’m pretty sure I know the payloads(s) I can use, to verify command execution and a shell, but I don’t get anything back and only see the 500 error.

root@craft:~#

Wow, what a ride!
Don’t have enough words to describe this masterpiece! Well designed environment with actual cloud technologies and real life scenario with nudges left behind by the “developers”.
Thank you @rotarydrone !

It’s my 2nd favourite box !

Quick tips:

1. Read the source code (leakage).
  2. Use python3 (requests) to automate 2 things. Strange responses ? Take into account the boolean logic :wink:
  3. Inside: enumerate with python3 (8 lines of code).
  4. Use the data from 3. Don’t overthink!
  5. Grab user.txt
  6. Enumerate, use the documentation, login as root, grab root.txt !

I Finally rooted it!
That was such a cool, realistic and interesting box.

The hints are all here in the forum already, but feel free to PM for nudges!

@S7uXN37 i’v sent you a PM

Type your comment> @laszlo said:

1. Inside: enumerate with python3 (8 lines of code).

@laszlo can you recommend anything to read? Googling “enumerate with python” spits out nothing helpful…

https://netsec.ws/?p=309 - can’t get the tools inside the d…-c… could do enumeration by hand though… can su to two different users, but since I’m “root” already…

Is it possible to escalate privileges and escaping from a Docker container? - Information Security Stack Exchange…-c…

Spoiler Removed

Type your comment> @gorg said:

Type your comment> @laszlo said:

1. Inside: enumerate with python3 (8 lines of code).

@laszlo can you recommend anything to read? Googling “enumerate with python” spits out nothing helpful…

Where the application stores data ? What binary is not available inside the docker ? Please check settings.py :wink:

Took me about 12 actual hours of work to fully root and mostly thanks to everyone who suggested hints in the forums.

User was interesting, ended up building my own server app to test the payload. Root was straightforward but that is to be expected in the real world as well.

Root took 10 seconds after getting user… perhaps it’s because I thought learning the tool was required for getting user since I didn’t see the *** key right away in the repo…

can someone throw me a hint on the RCE syntax for the initial foothold? I’m able to authenticate and verify that I can create new entries. I’ve even setup a local script to make sure my syntax was right and that an rshell inside the e*l function works locally but whenever I try to apply it to the box I either get that my abv is too high or an unhandled exception.

I’ve tried doing it through c**l, b*p and a py script none work and i’m beginning to lose my mind -_-’

@laszlo said:

Where the application stores data ? What binary is not available inside the docker ? Please check settings.py :wink:

autsch… this is my third machine, but with each one I get more and more the impression that the most important thing is to go through every file (shell) and page (web) very closely…

so far most things have been just right in front of me

@laszlo said:

Don’t overthink!

My head is slowly approaching the size of an big pumpkin, pivoting around in the d…-c…

@kievcast said:

I’ve tried doing it through c**l, b*p and a py script none work and i’m beginning to lose my mind -_-’

I hate when that happens.

Before you do… lately I got the impression that on the free vpn nodes is too much traffic, changed to VIP and my exploit worked.

user pwned

edit: rooted

Rooted.

Tnx to @gorg and @S7uXN37 for there help.

Base

--> Read the API code and enumerate everything especially the git log.

Shell

--> Use the data collected from the previous enumeration and craft a payload for a shell (try searching for Pyhton vulnerabilities).

User

--> More enumeration this time using a running service.

Root

--> Documentations will aide you.

Have a nice hack

Just rooted the box :smiley: User was a very nice ride, as for root it was just a read through the documentation of a service, much easier. If you are stuck feel free to PM me with your current progress for hints

Finally! That. Was. Awesome! Thanks, folks, for every hint you left. Still cannot believe that I’ve lost so much time moving in the wrong direction, but anyway it gave me the knowledge how to obtain root later

User

No need to brute. No need to escape. You can get all prerequisites just from the source code.
It might be easier to get shell if you set up app locally and hack it a bit to bypass t*** validation (Hint: You cannot compare NoneType and int)
Then you may suffer with a minimalistic editor (which was funny though) or get yourself a proper shell.
Once you’ve got all c***, you’re in ten minutes to user.

Root

It’s easier than it seems to be. Just study infrastructure.

btw, does anyone know why hydra returns false positives for g*** along with the correct results?

Rooted. Extraordinary box with real-world experience. There’s so much fun in this process. User is much harder than root in my opinion. Feel free to PM if you need a nudge.

Rooted. That box is awesome.

if anyone could pm me some help with the e*** payload it would be much appreciated i cant seem get past “An unhandled exception occurred.”