Bastion

im stuck on decrypt part and getting ValueError: MAC check failed!!

Please drop me a hint on my inbox.

Type your comment> @bashocker said:

Frustrating box for us new at pen testing. I can only mount the large vhd but not the small one. Any suggestions?

That’s the only one you should need

Anyone got JTR working with the hashes extracted from S** and SY****?
I also tried using HashCAT but no luck. Any other suggestions will be highly appreciated. :slight_smile:
Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Got it. User is owned. Heading for the root.

Got root today,

Started on this box wanting to do completely blind with no hints / no checking forums.

For User: Was on the right track immediately, found the (thing) about not doing X because of slow X. Kind of figured that meant not to do it but did it anyway and pulled it off lol. I learned nothing! :stuck_out_tongue: But now after reading the forum, going to go learn how to navigate those types of things without pulling them down so I don’t miss out on the good learning experience.

For Root: I tried way, way, way too hard. I was on the right track right away with the out of place program, but - again, tried too hard. Today found out it was way simpler than I thought and rooted.

Was glad I did it blind but reading the forums I’m wondering if for User I missed something / maybe I also did something too hard to get user (I’ve been a Windows admin a long time so once I had access to certain things I knew where to go).

All in all great experience! Thanks @L4mpje for the great box!

Rooted on Linux only. Very fun box, definitely learned a lot about mounting in linux. Usually enumeration and research is a drag but somehow this box made it seem interesting and achievable.

User hint: Don’t download, mount and then mount again. It’s possible.
Root hint: Look for unusual programs, google that bad boy.

Message me if you’re stuck!

Could someone give me a hand on cracking the password please? I am having ALOT of issues cracking them even though its saying I have successfully cracked them…

Got the Admin password, can anyone DM me and tell me if mine is correct? Cant login, I am stuck…
Edit: Nevermind, script was not working correctly. Got root.

Type your comment> @Gwizwold said:

Hi All, is msf required for root? I think the program may be vulnerable to an exploit which recovers credentials for me. Or alternatively Currently looking at m********.***.*****g, is this the right path to go down for Privesc?

Cheers!

Nevermind, rooted! thanks @L4mpje one of my favourite boxes so far learnt alot from this one!

Feel free to PM for hints

Rooted! I did it in 3 hours! Thk bro nice boxes @L4mpje

Got User thanks to the hints here.

I found the x** file needed and the password for admin account but i cannot decrypt it …
any tools for the mR*****N* decrypt
I did found some tools online but couldnt get them to work… would love some help with that.

Thanks

just finished watching ippsec videos. Need a nudge with Bastion user

After a hiatus on HTB, came back and rooted. Shout out to @L4mpje for a realistic box. Learned a lot and realized I was overlooking the details. DM if you need a nudge

First box ever, thank you very much @L4mpje it was a great start and learnt a lot

Thanks to everyone’s carefully crafted hints/nudges, really appreciate everyone using tact

Found user a lot harder to get than root because of my lac of familiarity with that sort of extraction

Can someone who is online ready to give me nudge on this ? am kind off lost

I have some hashes from S*M, I tried h***t and jn but it could take hours. I think I’m missing something. Help pls

edit: nvm, I got it

hmm

Any help on decrypting the co**C****.xml?
I’ve been trying with Metasploit module and a rb decoder I found online but nothing seems to work.

EDIT: Rooted. Great VM. I really enjoyed it and find out a couple of Windows related things that I didn’t know. Thanks @L4mpje.
To those that have this issue. Just download what you need locally and search on google ways of looking up password using the Program linked to xml file.
Feel free to PM me for hints

Type your comment> @DameDrewby said:

Type your comment> @bashocker said:

Frustrating box for us new at pen testing. I can only mount the large vhd but not the small one. Any suggestions?

That’s the only one you should need

Thanks! I have been trying to figure this part out for no reason

I need a nudge. I have the x*l file and saw to use decryptor but cannot get it to work for admin password.

Just got root only using linux vm, nice box @L4mpje!
I’ve been reading the forum and saw everybody mentioning that root would be difficult. Sometimes you should use come google hacking to get better results. I can tell you there is a very useful snake script to decrypt a certain password. Only a base64 looking string is needed.