A Script Kiddie’s guide to Passing OSCP on your first attempt.

Thanks for the write-up.

Dear blacksh33p

Consistent approach and clarity. Surely that gave you success. Well articulated write up on OSCP.
Really guiding.

Pl also give details of the vmware workstation image. Additional tools required to be installed, etc. Whether updates are ok or will hamper buffer overflow.

Type your comment> @singham said:

Pl also give details of the vmware workstation image. Additional tools required to be installed, etc. Whether updates are ok or will hamper buffer overflow.

Hi singham
The VMware workstation image I used for buffer overflow only had Immunity Debugger with Mona.py installed. Other than that, slmail, ftpfreefloat and minishare applications. Ftpfreefloat was the main application I used to practice. It was a Windows 7 machine so I just had to remember that my offsets will change after reboot due to ASLR.
I wouldnt bother with updating the buffer overflow VM because you will need to snapshot the base install so when the evaluation expires you can restore.

Congratulations. Very nice write-up. I have a question about your following comment

Also, with HTB some of the OSCP practice machines would only be online for a week
Do these machines get retire and that's why they are online for a week? Even with your 1-year subscription, you still don't get access to these machines?

@blacksh33p Thanks for this write-up. I used it to pass the OSCP exam in the past week. The biggest takeaway I had was to have a strategy for moving through the targets. That helped me tremendously. This was my second attempt. Having the prior experience, and your advice, helped me to manage my time. I had a 3 PM start time, took some breaks, and went to bed at 1 AM knowing I had about 65 points (55 points + partial credit for low-priv user on a 25 point target). I knew then I only had to wake up, and have 8 hours to take down the last 20 point target.

Hello everyone, ladies and gentlemen.
I do not work as a professional in digital security, I am a professional in maritime navigation (chief officer on the commercial fleet). But I’m 57 already, my pension is in my pocket, my granddaughter is growing up, etc. I would love to start working as a system administrator, pentester, etc. (it’s time to finish working in the fleet, but not to lie at home on the couch), but employers need “young and experienced” - an interesting wording. I have no doubt that I will pass this exam (I will prepare and pass, 800-900 $ for preparation is not large money), but what’s the point of not getting a job later?
So I will continue to have fun on HTB - a hobby is a hobby.
And I wish good luck to the youth …

@ZloyObezyan I think your best bet would be to go as a freelancer or start your own business as sysadmin/pentester.

i like this flood very much, thanks

Type your comment> @zalpha said:

@blacksh33p Thanks for this write-up. I used it to pass the OSCP exam in the past week. The biggest takeaway I had was to have a strategy for moving through the targets. That helped me tremendously. This was my second attempt. Having the prior experience, and your advice, helped me to manage my time. I had a 3 PM start time, took some breaks, and went to bed at 1 AM knowing I had about 65 points (55 points + partial credit for low-priv user on a 25 point target). I knew then I only had to wake up, and have 8 hours to take down the last 20 point target.

@zalpha - very nicely done! Having a game plan is key!

@kamransb said:
Congratulations. Very nice write-up. I have a question about your following comment

Also, with HTB some of the OSCP practice machines would only be online for a week
Do these machines get retire and that's why they are online for a week? Even with your 1-year subscription, you still don't get access to these machines?

@kamransb - sorry for the late reply. You dont have this issue anymore because they have changed the format here at HTB. Good luck if you attempt the exam.

Great analysis of the OSCP, I went into it earlier this year and overthought everything which was a major reason why I didn’t pass. Now I’ve spent a bit more time in the industry and started to think more logically about the entire process I feel that I would be better suited for this exam maybe in the next year or so. Experience is a must!

Thanks again!

Excellent writeup. Congrats on passing!

Congratulations!
And thank you a lot for your post. I set my mind to get OSCP and OSCE too, both without any due dates. Thing is I’m a weird ■■■ borderliner. I feel extremely anxious right up until the point I feel omnipotent.
Reading your experiences makes me feel a little eased, like in the near future I could possibly start the course, at least.

Thank you again. It was really nice reading another point of view, not the zomgg so d1fficUlT u g0tta be 1337est evr and like you gotta write the new 0day kernel exploit brah

You’ll keep going towards OSCE too?

Congratulations of passing you just motivate another one that it can be done.
but as you wrote Time and hard study is the secret here !
Thanks 4 your post !

Type your comment> @rowra said:

Congratulations!
And thank you a lot for your post. I set my mind to get OSCP and OSCE too, both without any due dates. Thing is I’m a weird ■■■ borderliner. I feel extremely anxious right up until the point I feel omnipotent.
Reading your experiences makes me feel a little eased, like in the near future I could possibly start the course, at least.

Thank you again. It was really nice reading another point of view, not the zomgg so d1fficUlT u g0tta be 1337est evr and like you gotta write the new 0day kernel exploit brah

You’ll keep going towards OSCE too?

Stay calm and collected, at the end of the day its just another exam which you have done most of your life at school.

I’m going to hopefully start AWAE soon!

@Th3R3dP1ll said:
Great analysis of the OSCP, I went into it earlier this year and overthought everything which was a major reason why I didn’t pass. Now I’ve spent a bit more time in the industry and started to think more logically about the entire process I feel that I would be better suited for this exam maybe in the next year or so. Experience is a must!

Thanks again!

No probs! Study hard and keep hacking…

@m0zzare11a said:
Excellent writeup. Congrats on passing!

Thank you!

@Blu3wolf said:
Congratulations of passing you just motivate another one that it can be done.
but as you wrote Time and hard study is the secret here !
Thanks 4 your post !

Thank you! Im glad you see it as motivation!

Excellent. I’m also a father of two in a sysadmin / engineer role so it’s especially salient.
Thanks.