Safe

Hi i got stuck on this one, do i have to use a BoF ?!?!

i noticed wenn i send a long value to the port i dont get the repsone i usualy get there…
but i have no clue how i can get the binary… to create a exploit…

maybe somone can push me litle bit in the right direction

thx

Type your comment> @smaxs said:

i noticed wenn i send a long value to the port i dont get the repsone i usualy get there…

thx

I am also thinking about same …Also downloaded the binary on my local system and use same U r talking about and also experience what BoF gives…still thinking about it

Type your comment> @smaxs said:

thx

I’m stuck here as well :frowning: Looks like a BoF, but where to get the bin???

Type your comment> @kckriega said:

Hope this comment helps you to get the binary…

Type your comment> @opt1kz said:

Type your comment> @Ketil said:

Would anyone mind dropping some names of techniques which i must have overlooked.

Turn off 90% of your brain and just right-click.

Type your comment> @v1p3r0u5 said:

Hope this comment helps you to get the binary…

Would anyone mind dropping some names of techniques which i must have overlooked.

Thanks. Heading over to the shame corner.

Never mind. Maybe you will have more success with the following part than me. Good luck!

hey all has anyone had any joy getting the seg fault to happen within gdb, i keep getting"Warning: not running or target is remote

Any hints for root? Stuck at it for a long time. Tried breaking the hash, but nothing,!

Rooted.

Having binary exploitation usually makes me give the box an automatic like, however the rest of this box is pretty bad; I can now see why this box has such bad ratings now.

For user: The source is your friend. Once you get it, remember why this box is rated easy: You don’t need to go through the entire ret2libc-leak-calculate process. If system’s provided to you, but you don’t have the shell string, maybe it’s possible to provide one yourself?

For root: Just using k***2j won’t work. One of the images needs to be used in conjunction with it.

Thanks to @snowscan and @xdaem00n for your help!

I have my exploit works local in my host, but doesn’t works in remote server…Anyone can give me in DM some hits? Thanks…

Type your comment> @MrR3boot said:

How even this box got approved. wasted my precious time today on this. Its simply copy of previous ones…

we were thinking the same thing…

User:

• If people are struggling with running the binary with peda - peda sets follow-fork-mode to child whereas vanilla gdb has it as parent by default. You may wish to sed -i 's/follow-fork-mode child/follow-fork-mode parent/g' ~/peda/peda.py (or whever your peda is located).
  • Everything you need is contained within the binary itself.

Root:

• I’m sure you don’t need a hint to find the correct vector.
  • When you use the right things, it shouldn’t take long at all to get a result.

Type your comment> @rewks said:

• If people are struggling with running the binary with peda - peda sets follow-fork-mode to child whereas vanilla gdb has it as parent by default. You may wish to sed -i 's/follow-fork-mode child/follow-fork-mode parent/g' ~/peda/peda.py (or whever your peda is located).

Lifesaver, been trying to troubleshoot that forever…

I haven’t done a BOF before. What would be a good first timer tutorial that covers what I need to know for this box? (Feel free to PM instead of posting here if it’s spoiler-ish).

Rooted. Didn’t like this box at all – almost wondering how it even got selected in the first place? Feels like a repeat of another box cough (some will know which I’m referring to).

Anyways, hints:

user
As others have been saying, provide your own shell for yourself. Once you find what you are looking for and break it down, you’ll be able to understand how to get your shell. Don’t read too deep into the binary.

root
Check out what is already given to you. Enumerate it. What is it? What can you do with something like this? This step is extremely CTF-like. Run through each, carefully. You’ll know what to do in the end. Afterwards, give yourself a fully interactive shell and make the switch.

just rooted. not a bad box.

hints for user: make sure to inspect the binary to see what’s provided.

hints for root: focus on the tool and what you have in front of you, don’t “over-enumerate”, it’s pretty fast if you’re doing the right thing.

pm for hints

Type your comment> @v1p3r0u5 said:

I'm stuck here as well :(  Looks like a BoF, but where to get the bin???

Hope this comment helps you to get the binary...

and here I was turning my brain on… thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

Type your comment> @hva said:

I haven’t done a BOF before. What would be a good first timer tutorial that covers what I need to know for this box? (Feel free to PM instead of posting here if it’s spoiler-ish).

me too

Still learning about BOF, any retired boxes anyone can recommend for me to practice and make use of the VIP service. Feel free to PM me. That’s the best way I learn trying to use the retired boxes and learning as i go with hints from the writeups.

The box is clearly inspired by BigHead.