Classic, yet complicated!

@ahmad said:
hey briyani could you help me to unlook rar password??

which rar file?

Guys, I am struggling on this for a very long time. can someone pm me?

never mind. sooooo stupid of me. got it after 7 days struggle.

Honestly, the difficulty rating of this one is pretty low compared to it’s actual difficulty. I ran it through several of the “correct” ciphers, but it was always off because of my initial cryptanalysis … it wasn’t until I dissected it with JCrypTool that I actually got it to correctly decode with the correct key. Congrats to those who have solved it.,

Well I decrypt it that was fun!

Vinegar being delicious, you need a salt (hash | what a match ! ) to encode to taste better. Consider you want to be a cook(coder) and what every noob learns first to cook.

Well i learned something new, i was sure it was one cipher but it was a different one that i never heard of…
I had no idea one could use vinegar on the salad, thanks JChris.
And cyb3rs4k1 i did not get what you meant until i finished it :slight_smile: Really clever!

I agree with those saying this one is underrated. I took a long route and didn’t have any help and it took a long time. I’ve only done a couple challenges so far, so maybe it’s easy relative to others? Fortunately I learned a lot and it was very satisfying to finally complete. But 10pts??

Hi all :slight_smile:

OK,i got it, it was funny

Perhaps the difficulty is in doing it the manual way. There are tools out there that can solve it instantly

Getting the plain text was fairly easy but for the love of God please someone help with the flag? Any advice or am I just stupid?

@DemiZe said:
Getting the plain text was fairly easy but for the love of God please someone help with the flag? Any advice or am I just stupid?

well, I guess I’m stupid lol

ahh i got it! defintely a classic! Have to give props to @likwidsec for the tip! :wink:

@JChris said:
Would you like some vinegar on your salad, sir?

This is hilarious… some people will end up thinking you’re on about the roman politician and military general’s lunch tho…

solved, nice challenge

Looking for a bit of help on this as I’ve “applied the vinegar” :smiley: but my resulting plain text has lots of errors. I can work out what the whole message is supposed to say, including where it tells me what the flag is but HTB doesn’t accept it. Difficult to say more without giving spoilers!

@poe said:
Looking for a bit of help on this as I’ve “applied the vinegar” :smiley: but my resulting plain text has lots of errors. I can work out what the whole message is supposed to say, including where it tells me what the flag is but HTB doesn’t accept it. Difficult to say more without giving spoilers!

Try rotation algorithm

@redlily said:

@poe said:

Try rotation algorithm

Thank for the help! In the end it turns out I only had a partial key (exactly half) but because some of the letters of the first half match the letters in the second half and the two halves were equal lengths, about 80% of the cipher was being decrypted! :slight_smile:

Well, got the flag. This was easy once I figured out the correct key thanks to a hint in this thread. Still unsure how one would obtain that key without a hint, feel free to PM me if you know how to get it manually.