I hate VI!

Type your comment> @deviate said:

i’m guessing a little here since i don’t have all the details, but another issue could be that you may not have a fully functional shell (you said reverse shell, which leads me to believe this).

there have been some other threads on this, but basically with a reverse shell you typically aren’t going to have things like job control and control characters (which are used to move the cursor around) may not work correctly. you also probably have default values for the size of your shell.

section 3 of this page: Upgrading Simple Shells to Fully Interactive TTYs - ropnop blog goes over the process of getting a tty, collecting the right size information, setting your local tty to raw mode and then configuring the tty on the shell to be the right size and to use the right terminal emulation. if you do all of that, you should end up with a much more fully functional editor.

Thanks, I’ll have a play with this. I did use the python pty script to get myself to a proper shell to the point where I could run “su” but maybe it’s not functional enough.