Took the byte

Type your comment> @mm0086444 said:

Type your comment> @YanTayga said:

@mm0086444 said:
@chivato said:

classic forensic tool

Men, what are you talking about? Please PM me the name of that magic tool :slight_smile:

If spoiler, please let me know and I’ll scrum this:

I suggest using a feature-packed hex editor for Windows that’s popular in forensics. At least, it’s popular in my eyes

I think it’s very clear :slight_smile:

I solved it using the program.

My advice is: Think as if the bytes were a coin

I didn’t get it first. Then I did it in 1-2 minutes without using any program.

I have no idea how you would solve this with a forensics tool, I did it all manually and as far as I can tell it was all identical to a certain cipher that is crypto 101… I guess I took the hard route, although once I realized the initial “cipher” it took me about 3 minutes max.

I used perl to flip it

Hint: He took a single byte.

I don’t get it. Can someone give me a nudge ? I have no clue how to solve this.

Could someone please PM the tool mentioned in the thread? :smile: very curious

Could anyone pm me the tool people are talking about? Thanks :slight_smile:

Edit: nvm

Why don’t you cook with Sw++s A++y cyber chef ???

I’ve done that strange challenge. Any byte was taken… Its more crypto than forensics. After small hint i do this manually in simple python oneliner.
If you wanna help - just PM me :wink:

Type your comment> @Wolfstorm said:

@YanTayga said:

@mm0086444 said:
@chivato said:

classic forensic tool
Men, what are you talking about? Please PM me the name of that magic tool :slight_smile:

You mean you don’t know what tool that is :open_mouth:

can i know that secret tool name.

Type your comment> @foxieon said:

Type your comment> @Wolfstorm said:

@YanTayga said:

@mm0086444 said:
@chivato said:

classic forensic tool

You mean you don’t know what tool that is :open_mouth:

can i know that secret tool name.

If I tell you the Chef won’t be happy with me…

Hmm, I’ve asked the chef and can’t get anything out of this. I’ve not used it before today however so total n00b. Any chance of a hint please?

@thegoatreich:

I think the comment of @will135 is the best hint you can get without it being a spoiler:

[…] think of the operation that could make the most common byte be that byte in the file rather than the regular most common byte in many files.

Also, since the challenge hints at a single byte as the difference-maker, brute-forcing the few possibilities should also be reasonably fast.

OK, I need to do some reading here.

Edit: got it. Thanks

Can someone throw a bone my way? I’ve opened it with chef and with a hex editor but not sure what byte is missing…

Solved it by treating each bit as a coin. But can’t see where the ‘single byte’ clue comes in handy. I added nothing to the original file. All the required data is in the original.

I actually don’t get it why people have the interest to solve such a challenge using a magic tool; as soon as one gets a clue and then trying to script or program the solution it is quite simple… the hint with the coin is quite good.

Hey, anyone for a nudge, please ?I think I am quite close now.
Thanks

NVM, got it

Thank you guys for the subtle hints! With the right tool this was quite quick to resolve.
But doing it with custom code/script should not be that hard too…

If you are stuck, go through the comments again. There are only 2 pages and there is more than you need to get this done. :slight_smile: