Took the byte

Ah, so there’s some crypto in there!

Well, deobufscation more than crypto…

Solved, thanks!

Hello, I’ve tried to solve that few ways but I still don’t get it, could you give me any hints where should I start searching?

Right, I spent way too long on this challenge. Ignore the fact it is in forensics. Should 100% be in crypto.

@chivato
please, can you tell us all, did you spent lot of time with roc…ou ?

Rockyou? I have no idea where rockyou would come into this challenge… it is certainly not needed. If you need a password, try looking for patterns somewhere (keep the challenge title in mind).

I decoded a couple of strings which seem like a bash script, obfuscated. Can someone share some links?

@chivato said:
Right, I spent way too long on this challenge. Ignore the fact it is in forensics. Should 100% be in crypto.

I solved it for a minute using classic forensics tool. So for me it is 100% forensics))

It was more like misc - crypto challenge imo.

Type your comment> @tabacci said:

@chivato said:

I solved it for a minute using classic forensics tool. So for me it is 100% forensics))

Can confirm, classic forensic tool handled it within seconds.

Very cool challenge.

Indeed a very versatile and classic tool helped.

@YanTayga said:

@mm0086444 said:
@chivato said:

classic forensic tool
Men, what are you talking about? Please PM me the name of that magic tool :slight_smile:

You mean you don’t know what tool that is :open_mouth:

Type your comment> @YanTayga said:

@mm0086444 said:
@chivato said:

classic forensic tool

Men, what are you talking about? Please PM me the name of that magic tool :slight_smile:

If spoiler, please let me know and I’ll scrub this:

I suggest using a feature-packed hex editor for Windows that’s popular in forensics. At least, it’s popular in my eyes

Type your comment> @mm0086444 said:

Type your comment> @YanTayga said:

@mm0086444 said:
@chivato said:

classic forensic tool

If spoiler, please let me know and I’ll scrum this:

I suggest using a feature-packed hex editor for Windows that’s popular in forensics. At least, it’s popular in my eyes

I think it’s very clear :slight_smile:

I solved it using the program.

My advice is: Think as if the bytes were a coin

I didn’t get it first. Then I did it in 1-2 minutes without using any program.

I have no idea how you would solve this with a forensics tool, I did it all manually and as far as I can tell it was all identical to a certain cipher that is crypto 101… I guess I took the hard route, although once I realized the initial “cipher” it took me about 3 minutes max.

I used perl to flip it

Hint: He took a single byte.

I don’t get it. Can someone give me a nudge ? I have no clue how to solve this.