Took the byte

I analyzed the file, and it doesn’t seem to match any known format for a password. Is cryptoanalysis required? This would be weird, since it’s a forensics challenge.

It’s a forensics challenge alright. Literally takes a byte.

Honestly, this was more of a crypto/forensics hybrid to me in my opinion. For those stuck on this, think of the operation that could make the most common byte be that byte in the file rather than the regular most common byte in many files.

I tried any signature here:

The file doesn’t even match closely any of these (even with one byte missing).
I’m puzzled…

Ah, so there’s some crypto in there!

Well, deobufscation more than crypto…

Solved, thanks!

Hello, I’ve tried to solve that few ways but I still don’t get it, could you give me any hints where should I start searching?

Right, I spent way too long on this challenge. Ignore the fact it is in forensics. Should 100% be in crypto.

@chivato
please, can you tell us all, did you spent lot of time with roc…ou ?

Rockyou? I have no idea where rockyou would come into this challenge… it is certainly not needed. If you need a password, try looking for patterns somewhere (keep the challenge title in mind).

I decoded a couple of strings which seem like a bash script, obfuscated. Can someone share some links?

@chivato said:
Right, I spent way too long on this challenge. Ignore the fact it is in forensics. Should 100% be in crypto.

I solved it for a minute using classic forensics tool. So for me it is 100% forensics))

It was more like misc - crypto challenge imo.

Type your comment> @tabacci said:

@chivato said:

I solved it for a minute using classic forensics tool. So for me it is 100% forensics))

Can confirm, classic forensic tool handled it within seconds.

Very cool challenge.

Indeed a very versatile and classic tool helped.

@YanTayga said:

@mm0086444 said:
@chivato said:

classic forensic tool
Men, what are you talking about? Please PM me the name of that magic tool :slight_smile:

You mean you don’t know what tool that is :open_mouth:

Type your comment> @YanTayga said:

@mm0086444 said:
@chivato said:

classic forensic tool

Men, what are you talking about? Please PM me the name of that magic tool :slight_smile:

If spoiler, please let me know and I’ll scrub this:

I suggest using a feature-packed hex editor for Windows that’s popular in forensics. At least, it’s popular in my eyes

Type your comment> @mm0086444 said:

Type your comment> @YanTayga said:

@mm0086444 said:
@chivato said:

classic forensic tool

If spoiler, please let me know and I’ll scrum this:

I suggest using a feature-packed hex editor for Windows that’s popular in forensics. At least, it’s popular in my eyes

I think it’s very clear :slight_smile:

I solved it using the program.

My advice is: Think as if the bytes were a coin

I didn’t get it first. Then I did it in 1-2 minutes without using any program.