Bastion

Type your comment> @M160 said:

I have a question, so I’ve mounted the VHD file using guestmount, then after that I’ve searched through the directories but so far I didn’t find anything interesting. Any hint where I can find that “file”?

someone already called this file USA uncle…

Don’t you know the USA uncle?

then google his location , if I remember VHD wasn’t only one, if you cant find the uncle here then try the other one

@HEXE thanks, I got the creds and was able to go through :+1:

Big thanks to @0xNoOne and @L4mpje <3 . Rooted the box with pure Linux.
Learned a lot here. My hints for the following:

USER:
The guy in Transformers Movie

ROOT:
you have to find something here. knowing the windows command-line will help you here.
after that you have to decipher.

:slight_smile:

Got root! Thanks for all the hints to everyone in this thread and thanks to @L4mpje for this cool box. I thoroughly enjoyed this box… even through banging my head against the wall trying to figure out the next step. I really learned A LOT on this box.

I’m also relatively novice when it comes to this, so any new members here’s some hints I wish I could have gotten:

For user: You need to understand how a password is stored on a system, look this up first. There is a program that you can use afterwards that will help you further that you will probably have to download. Google for cracking stored NTLM passwords or something along these lines - Hope this isn’t to much of a hint, remove if necessary

For root: Don’t get hung up on what you are more than likely hung up on, if it doesn’t seem right it probably isn’t. Google everything you find on this system and it will jump at you like a spider monkey. Also always remember dir doesn’t always list all the directories.

Edit: PM if you need help. I don’t bite.

Please ping me who completed bastion i have a doubt on it

Wow. Ended up using windows at the end there. I have an idea about how to do it without it, might try it for kicks later.

User did with Kali entirely. Gotta learn about what the tastiest files to grab from a windows machine might be in order to get user.

For root… find that non-standard thing installed and google a bunch. Then maybe hop on your windows box…?

DM me if you need a nudge. lmk where you’re at.
Also DM if you did root without windows, want to confirm if I know how you did it.

Nailed user, Onward and upwards to root!

@juggydancesqd said:
Nailed user, Onward and upwards to root!

And rooted! good fun this one, Give me a nudge if you want a hint

having issues on mouting .vhs files, it’s seems like guestmount stays on “supermin: ext2: copying files from host filesystem”

Type your comment> @cyberagux said:

having issues on mouting .vhs files, it’s seems like guestmount stays on “supermin: ext2: copying files from host filesystem”

PM me, I think I can help

HI guys, Do you have any suggestions to watch walkthroughs on retired boxes which might help me on this machine??

Got root!!
Thanks a lot for that script @0xNoOne <3

Got a user :slight_smile: This was really simple. I needed an hour or so to get user flag.
And guys if you have problem with finding an app for vm files which shows up as very first google result when you ask google I’m surprise why you waste your time on system security portals ?? Seriously, I can’t believe ppl asked for help with finding this app…
Time for admin :slight_smile:

Joined the party 2 days ago and was running around like a headless chicken as this was my first Windows machine ever. I was seriously trying to use EternalBlue and other atomic bombs, lol. But after reading all the nudges here, it became more clear what to do. +1 respect to @L4mpje , nice box! For those still stuck: Just read comments here and sleep one night over it, then you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Howdy all, this is my first real box to try. I completed another, with the help of a personal friend trying to “mentor” me if you will. He has become unavailable. I’ve done as much enumeration as I know how. Just hoping someone can DM, and help me through the steps, I’m not asking for exact answers. Just a helping hand, thank you!

Thank you @L4mpje, nice box.
Thank you @hatsat32 for help.

owned root. awesome box. thanks @L4mpje !

Type your comment> @servetel10 said:

Got root!!
Thanks a lot for that script @0xNoOne <3

No problem! Glad it helped! :slight_smile:
Script in question: secret link

ROOTED without Windows VM

I loved this box! Thanks @L4mpje

If anyone need help just ping me