Writeup

stuck on hash…

solved

Type your comment> @harryyee said:

stuck on hash…
i try to use hashcat 20 to crack 6***7:57 by dict but no lucks, am i missing anything?
please pm…

if you read the exploit you’ll see where the salt is being put before the server hash it with the pw, eitherway you don’t need hashcat, at least I didn’t

Type your comment> @MRwatch0xff said:

Type your comment> @harryyee said:

stuck on hash…
i try to use hashcat 20 to crack 6***7:57 by dict but no lucks, am i missing anything?
please pm…

if you read the exploit you’ll see where the salt is being put before the server hash it with the pw, eitherway you don’t need hashcat, at least I didn’t

i aware but still no lucks, any more hints?

edit: solved, thanks all :slight_smile:
hint: cover more

Got my 20 points for this fantastic and realistic box. Thanks @jkr for the work <3

User part is quite easy with the right exploit. There was mentioned a very handy Firefox extension that helped me to enumerate the needed information.

Root part was extremely tricky for me. I fell in so many rabbit holes. But thanks to the hint from @1NC39T10N i was able to get back on track. His/Her nudge is very handy if you are on a vip box.

@1NC39T10N said:
Root is tricky to find if others are not on the box IMO. Use the tool already mentioned
to monitor processes, but generate traffic to the box while this is running using the VERY
last step needed to get user. Observe the process, and consider how to leverage.

A very big shoutout to @Almadjus who helped me when i was completely stuck in the rabbit holes and remind me to double check the things.

Rooted after way too many hours because I’m spectacularly stupid at times. Thanks @mab for putting up with me.

Hints that may help

• User - already well covered in the thread, if you’re not sure what exploit to try then maybe “inspect” your source to see what the date says
  • Root - Really take time to understand what the command is doing (in particular what the flag is doing, the man page is extremely helpful for this
  • Root - There is a difference between ABUSING a command (e.g. running a script on a file you control) and HIJACKING a command (taking control of the script that accesses a file)

Hugely educational, thanks @jkr - don’t think I’ll be forgetting what I learned any time soon.

Happy to help via PMs.

User exploit is very bautifull! I get root.txt after somebody echo it to /tmp folder. That’s very bad way :disappointed:
Hints for user:

• Enumerate by hand NOT by dirbuster.
  • Wappalyzer addon for firefox will be usefull :slight_smile:
  • Try searchsploit and not use “OWASP TOP 10 (2017) A1” exploit not RCE

PM me if you have any question for user :slight_smile:

the page you need to exploit has been down for hours ■■■■ !!! im i the only one with this problem ughhhh

Just rooted. Took a while and went down 2 rabbit holes but found a way out.

Some tips:
Monitor/snoop processes and perform standard enumerations
Sort by which processes are running as root
What commandlines are they using? When do they occur? Are they called with absolute or relative paths?
What permissions do you have to the paths which you discovered?
How can you manipulate it to do what you want?

This should get you on your way :slight_smile:

Type your comment> @thecisco said:

the page you need to exploit has been down for hours ■■■■ !!! im i the only one with this problem ughhhh

You know that you can reset the machine if it’s not working correctly, right?

got user …
Moving to root

i’ve been working on this box for quite awhile now and i don’t know if it’s just my lack of knowledge or if i’m just overlooking things ive found the other directory but its just a bunch of writeups for different boxes if someone could point me in the right direction id love you forever

i think i found creds but now i need some assistance with cracking the salted hash

Fun box. Very realistic! Went down a rabbit hole on root. Was on the right track, like many others I bet, but was focusing on the wrong “stuff to look at”. Thanks to @Mab and @Meeryr :slight_smile:

PM for hints :slight_smile:

That was a really enjoyable root priv-esc. Good work to the Author

Not sure what I’m missing. I’ve gotten the password/salt and successfully decrypted it. Password makes sense, so I’m fairly certain I didn’t screw that part up. When I try to login to though, it doesn’t work. Anyone that’s gotten user have a moment to give me a prod?

Got user, needed to restart the box…

On to root

Thanks @mab for the help and @jkr for the box. Had fun on both user and root.

Glad I didn’t give up on root, extremely satisfying and learned a ton.

Thx a lot @jkr for the machine!
I learn news things with this machine…

That was an excellent machine.

Getting user was beautiful, and the first time I have used that particular type of flaw.
Root was fairly time consuming, as the particular instance I was on was very quiet. It’s much easier to spot if you’re in a busy server.

Great work, @jkr .

i think i found creds but im not to sure but if anyone could help with cracking the salted hash it would be very much appreciated

Just Rooted! Big thnx to @albertojoser for his amazing help and explanation! :smiley:

Just rooted :smile: Feel free to PM if you are stuck to give you a nudge