Hint for HELP

lol did it on some other machine thats why it worked. so my post is still up for any privescs without exploits

i lold at myself so hard

Finally got root on this. As a newbie, user was easier than root for me b/c the service to exploit seemed pretty clear. For root, however, I was kind of directionless and expected it to be harder than it was, and ended up overlooking something basic… Once I realized it, the exploit was easy and took like 15 minutes.

Edit: for User, I saw lots of people recommending to look at the source code, but I didn’t find that helpful (I don’t know the language tbf). I think the easier path using a proxy like Burpsuite to monitor requests.

Wrong timezone was the cause of my frustration. After resolving that, everything else was basic.
TIP.
User ==> Sort out time zone.
Root ==> Do NOT overthink it. Should be one of the 1st things you check when getting any shell.
Challenge can be completed by using Kali’s Searchploit.

PS. My 1st comment. Hopefully no spoliers

Finally rooted the machine. It was quite easy after I realised most important thing is in source code. No, I am not talking of any credentials ?

Feel free to ping me for hints.

hello everyone!

i could use a push in the right direction with this box… i’m not exactly sure how to go about it… i have an idea tho and i dont wanna put out a spoiler… so could someone who wants to help a newb pm me plz? thanks…
HTB is a good group! thanks again!

Type your comment> @FlewManChew said:

hello everyone!

i could use a push in the right direction with this box… i’m not exactly sure how to go about it… i have an idea tho and i dont wanna put out a spoiler… so could someone who wants to help a newb pm me plz? thanks…
HTB is a good group! thanks again!

Did you tried directory brute forcing. Why don’t you look at dirsearch. It’s an amazing tool.

Pm me if you are still stuck.

thanks for the help guys!
now if anyone wants to help with poppin root action … much appreciated… i’ve tried a bunch… seems like i’m going in circles

Type your comment> @FlewManChew said:

thanks for the help guys!
now if anyone wants to help with poppin root action … much appreciated… i’ve tried a bunch… seems like i’m going in circles

im not being rude but it seems that you want others to hack your boxes using your fingers ? its the most basic enumeration ever, if you cant figure this one out … question mark

Guys I changed the github code accordingly, even bypassed the file upload thing, yet not finding the file in the server. Can someone please pm for a hint please?

Hi everyone. I got user yesterday, but didn’t get root before I had to move onto other things. Now… using the exact commands and files I used yesterday, I can’t get user again. Any ideas? It just keeps coming back as not finding anything.

EDIT: Never mind, I altered the py script to give more tries before giving up and I got the shell again. Root!

Type your comment> @meowzilla said:

@mystory20 said:
I am lost in the file extension bypassing
any hint for that?
I have tried with different extension and modifying the content type
but none of them work

Apart from the unauthenticated way,
I have no idea on constructing the n***.*s query

Thanks in advance

same here. i can find my jpeg file with exploit script but stuck on bypassing the file extension filter … hints will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Check the source code and exploit it will definitely help u

Type your comment> @latestlurker said:

spent hours working on the file extension bypass, including reading source code, any nudges would be appreciated as i’m going insane

U can check the exploit for the help

Type your comment> @Grepthis said:

Ahhh… wow I made this much harder than it should have been… pm me if you are stuck.

Hints:
User: i went unauthenticated… just make sure you read the usage and sample usage of things…

Root: Really don’t assume things… don’t think wow that’s recent there’s no way…

i went same way but not able to capture flag but got the shell

Please someone PM me “File upload is not allwoed”??? isn’t that supposed to be the way or did i miss something here?

does anyone know what this message means ?
WARNING: Failed to daemonise. This is quite common and not fatal. Connection timed out (110)

this is the message i get while i link to the shell i’ve uploaded… and it’s not connecting back to my listener…

can anyone help please?

edit: oops… i’m an idiot… firewall. duh.
thanks for helping a newb like me guys… much appreciated!
if anyone needs a push in the right direction i’ll be willing to help! just pm

Type your comment> @xyzxyz said:

Please someone PM me “File upload is not allwoed”??? isn’t that supposed to be the way or did i miss something here?

Are you sure system tells you the truth?

Hi all,

This is my second machine, just after advise on how I should start this machine off. Just an application name I should look into, just so I can enhance my learning. PM me please.

HF

This is the first machine that I do in HTB. I was a lot confused with this machine. But It was very funny.

finally rooted, I agree that the User part was waaay harder and misleading… deff check the source-code of the app from GitHub

root was EZ

Rooted!
Pretty straight forward, im still confused if i really needed the cred from g**** api