onetwoseven

Wow. This box put me through some major challenges. As others have said, a lot of what needs to be done is not a simple case of one or two commands and you’re in, you do have to do a lot of prep before getting anywhere in this box.
Hat’s off to @jkr for a challenging box.
Special thanks to @ZerkerEOD for his massive help in getting both user and root, and also to @raiden99 for giving me some much needed pointers during my chaotic run for root.

OK, here come the hints.

Initial Foothold

• One type of file can be viewed as another type.
  • Zelda’s hero can help you see things that are out of reach.

User

• Was that user there all the time?
  • How did I get access in the first place?
  • How did that process work?
  • Would it work for others?

Root (Deep breath)

• I hope there is some light at the end of the …
  • Browser might need a little tweak.
  • Now, how do all these scripts work? Step by step!
  • It’s oddly satisfying when you have to take things apart and build things from scratch.

I am happy to help people out, but considering that after I offered help with LaCasaDePapel, I received over 300 messages in less than two weeks. I will still help people who need it, but a couple of conditions:
1 Use the forum to send me a private message or find me on Discord (Don’t write on my wall or use the private message function on the HTB site as I don’t get notified).
2 I try to respond as soon as I receive messages, but I may leave it until the end of the day and do them in bulk, so be patient.
3 Tell me your current status: where you currently are, what you have done, what you have tried, what you would like to confirm. I want to avoid spoilers as much as possible.

Good luck to those still working at it!