Ellingson

@guillotinus said:

hey guys, I hacked the Gibson, found the garbage file but I’m still the techno weenie (even watched the movie again)… can anyone help me to a “better” user?

If only you had someone in your group who could help you shed some light on where you should cast your shadow.

Sure would be a good practice, like taking regular backups!

Type your comment> @wabafet said:

just a question why are we constantly starting a discussion about a box that is 23 hours from release just curious

Gotta hype it up bro. Don’t be a stiff :wink: hehe

Stuck on getting user but I’m sure I’m super close. Poked around in the darker recesses of the box and found something that yielded a potential result but I can’t go any further with it. Am I missing something else that’s really obvious?
Edit - Nvm, looks like I was being too impatient.

Type your comment> @argot said:

Type your comment> @akame said:

Working on root. Looking for help.
Process dies with “Got EOF while sending in interactive” just as root shell spawns.

This does not happen on older ubuntu machines, but happens on 18.04.

Any hints how to prevent this? Feel free to PM. Thanks!

Stuck in the same place. Exploit works fine locally. Have tried multiple different ways to debug and either hangs or reaches EOF. Tried multiple different linked stuff as well.

Also stuck in the same place, have made it work on my machine with both a custom chain and the easier library way, both work for me, but neither work on Ellingson. I’m using ssh with the toolset we are all using. Stage 1 works but stage 2 keeps failing with EOF.

Type your comment> @invictim said:

Type your comment> @argot said:

Type your comment> @akame said:

Working on root. Looking for help.
Process dies with “Got EOF while sending in interactive” just as root shell spawns.

This does not happen on older ubuntu machines, but happens on 18.04.

Any hints how to prevent this? Feel free to PM. Thanks!

Stuck in the same place. Exploit works fine locally. Have tried multiple different ways to debug and either hangs or reaches EOF. Tried multiple different linked stuff as well.

Also stuck in the same place, have made it work on my machine with both a custom chain and the easier library way, both work for me, but neither work on Ellingson. I’m using ssh with the toolset we are all using. Stage 1 works but stage 2 keeps failing with EOF.

Same boat here, if anyone wants to toss me a hint I’ll take it. Learning a lot about the b** e* Ropes though.

Type your comment> @jfredett said:

@guillotinus said:

hey guys, I hacked the Gibson, found the garbage file but I’m still the techno weenie (even watched the movie again)… can anyone help me to a “better” user?

If only you had someone in your group who could help you shed some light on where you should cast your shadow.

thanx, found it now

@guillotinus said:

Already found where to cast my shadow but hit a wall. What I thought should work for a “better user” doesn’t
Can I pm you for a hint ?

I have already enumerated several times, I do not find anything that helps me to get the shell, I need help to find the right path

Spoiler Removed

Am I going the right way using s** with i*_r** I found? Still getting password prompt when trying to login as user h**

Type your comment> @tiger5tyle said:

Am I going the right way using s** with i*_r** I found? Still getting password prompt when trying to login as user h**

I think it’s the right way.
Do you properly point your key with ‘-i’ ?

@laszlo said:

Yup.

@laszlo said:

Yup.

you’re almost there but I think you’re having it backwards. It’s more a game of what the server needs from you to log in without a password than the other way around

@globule655 said:

you’re almost there but I think you’re having it backwards. It’s more a game of what the server needs from you to log in without a password than the other way around

How so? I’m giving it the i*_r** key. Am I missing something else?

@globule655 said:

How so? I’m giving it the i*_r** key. Am I missing something else?

There’s a specific file you can write into that will help you more than providing the server with its own private key

Type your comment> @globule655 said:

@guillotinus said:

Already found where to cast my shadow but hit a wall. What I thought should work for a “better user” doesn’t
Can I pm you for a hint ?

sure can.

For people who are struggling with a working payload locally, but cant pop a shell through ssh, here’s a hint:

The server doesn’t even allow non-root users to scp out of the box and just because g****** runs as a certain user, doesn’t mean that shell you are trying to pop will run as root. Think about how you could make it so.

@globule655 hey bro…
Can i shoot you a pm?

I’ve found the traceback and have used that to obtain the needed file to be able to login into the box.

I’ve got user.txt and now I’m trying to understand what vulnerabilities/exploits to use, but there’s really nothing out of the blue that I can see.

Any hints would be welcome.

Cheers,
anthonws.

Edit: Found the ■■■■■■! Really under my nose all that time :slight_smile:

Type your comment> @ghost0437 said:

@globule655 hey bro…
Can i shoot you a pm?

Of course, shoot away