Forensics: MarketDump

Hello,

I’m on this challenge it’s been hours, I discovered the source ip address and destination, the database (c*********.sql), I think not to be far from the solution, some tracks to have the flag?

PM Me. I just completed it

I’ve also spend some hours in this challenge, got all the information. Analyzed all the tcp.streams … I am not sure I understand the question. We have the connection of the attacker, we see him still the costumer database file. It is possibly to see the content of the file and it stops there. Some other info like the owner of the database file and the user used to connect can be seen. There is customer line that is different than all the others, I’ve tried this and made some manipulations, but without success…
I don’t know which customer might have been affected since the capture stops right after the database is stolen, How can we know what happen after?

It seems that some people solve this, so there is something i am not seeing clearly…

Type your comment> @f4d0 said:

I’ve also spend some hours in this challenge, got all the information. Analyzed all the tcp.streams … I am not sure I understand the question. We have the connection of the attacker, we see him still the costumer database file. It is possibly to see the content of the file and it stops there. Some other info like the owner of the database file and the user used to connect can be seen. There is customer line that is different than all the others, I’ve tried this and made some manipulations, but without success…
I don’t know which customer might have been affected since the capture stops right after the database is stolen, How can we know what happen after?

It seems that some people solve this, so there is something i am not seeing clearly…

exactly I got stuck there … after several attempts to submit the flag

solved, feel free to pm me… thank’s @GibParadox

Gonna leave this here because I think the challenge is not really clear.
There is something in the capture that will stand out. Once you find it, stop and try to decode it using a variation of a well known encoding.

Type your comment> @Peyphour said:

Gonna leave this here because I think the challenge is not really clear.
There is something in the capture that will stand out. Once you find it, stop and try to decode it using a variation of a well known encoding.

ah ah :anguished: the hint of the challenge is not really clear, i think too

Since I am getting quite some PMs regarding this challenge, you can solve it in less than 2 minutes by using some very basic tools or cmd pipe combinations, and taking a quick skim through output – you don’t even need Wireshark.

I’m looking at some N**…**e - do I at least look at the correct thing or do I go down a completely wrong path?

Type your comment> @fleitner said:

I’m looking at some N**…**e - do I at least look at the correct thing or do I go down a completely wrong path?

See my comment above

Still cant get it. I tried about 100 different decoding algorithms. Pls hint :frowning:

nvm… I got it. Just check what kind of decoding-variations really exist.

Pretty easy i guess, once you understand what type of decoder to use.

The magic operation in cyberchef is very useful for finding what decoder to use.

CyberChef is your friend :wink:

I didnt know about CyberChef, such a great tool ! Thanks @Anvillian @avetamine

Dito, I did not know that page. Great Tool. Thanks

I knew about the friend tool because in one of the box IPPSec told about it.
But without reminder would not remember it.

Hint: You don’t need wireshark at all for this challenge. Just look for some long strings in the file which stands out, and decode it.

Finally found the flag (my first challenge "owned’), thanks to the hints here. I spent too much time in wireshark analyzing and not enough trying to actually find the flag. It feels silly now how easy it was.

Side note: Is this challenge worth 30 pts or 3 pts? My profile only says +3, which is disappointing b/c I was psyched to finally be a script kiddie lol.