Ghoul

Can we agree yet that this is the worst thought-out box in HTB, or should we wait a few more days for that?

Type your comment> @mpeg said:

Can we agree yet that this is the worst thought-out box in HTB, or should we wait a few more days for that?

For now I can agree on that, unless the root is really something special and clever…

EDIT: I’m an idiot.

I still believe that there is something wrong with the box. I think creators forgot to add something or something is not working in the way it’s supposed to and there are some pieces that doesn’t fit to anywhere. Such a waste of time .

Now you know nothing is missing. ^

@MinatoTW said:

Can confirm, nothing is missing ^^

Type your comment> @MinatoTW said:

So the box is a time-waster by design! Good to know.

Hello, found something that doesn’t work and why, but that’s all, used burp, nmap, owasp zap and nessus (<- know that here u don’t have to use it but nevermind I’m happy), anyone can send me a hint? Thanks

Hi,
i also found some useful sites. Should i guess user and password or should i brute force it?
I am thankful for a hint :slight_smile:
update: no need to brute force :slight_smile: you can guess the user and password. It is verry easy :wink: and sometimes i think i am stupid LoL

I’ve authenticated against both 8080 and /us/index.php but not sure where to go from here. Is it this kai.jpg?

Got a shell. Working on getting user now. This box has been a total pain in the ■■■ so far.

Edit: Got user. Time to try for root. This thing is gnarly.

Hints for user: You’ll have to do some Googling to get what you want to use “sealed” together… Once you’ve done that, you can find it again…

Apologies for the incoming wall of text, but emotions seem to be running high over this box.

One of the last steps to getting root can be frustrating due to the data being tucked “out of the way” as compared to everything else discovered and hinted at up until that point. However, in hindsight it’s a legitimate case of just having to try harder.

There aren’t really any trolls or CTF garbage on this box, the makers aren’t in here memeing you guys to death and being insufferable, and there are hints laying around all over the place. Some of those hints are subtle and easily missed, but they’re there.

This box seems to be designed to teach you to enumerate E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G and to not be lazy. If you don’t abide by that, you will smash your face against the wall for hours and get nowhere. That’s not because the box is garbage or because the makers are trolling you; it’s because you are overlooking “little” things that are actually quite important.

I think this box achieved its goal in getting people to go over things with a fine toothed comb. It’s 90% enumeration and trawling through the filesystem looking for that needle in the haystack. There are some pivoting and POPPIN’ SHELLZ moments, to be sure, but it’s mostly enumerate, enumerate, enumerate! Some people may argue that this kind of realism makes the box unfun, but that’s really down to personal preference. I disagree, but that doesn’t mean you’re wrong.

TL/DR: Go easy on them, guys. I promise you everything works just fine and what you’re looking for is 100% right there under your nose.

I personally had a blast and learned a handful of things, despite being stuck at the same point everyone else was and being quite frustrated for a time. Thumbs up overall. Thanks for the learning experiences @MinatoTW and @egre55.

Thanks @opt1kz for the priceless feedback. We’re glad that you enjoyed and made full use of what the box had to offer. Apologies for any inconvenience due to the leftovers from previous versions.

Thanks @opt1kz for the priceless feedback. We’re glad that you enjoyed and made full use of what the box had to offer. Apologies for any inconvenience due to the leftovers from previous versions.

I am currently having trouble with root but I am not sure of I am supposed to be bruting *it ?

very good challenge bro either way whether its hard or not nothing is ctf about this box that is what you think until you really pay attention I will admit things are a bit off logic wise to me but my friends had to explain a few concepts about tunnels better and also a few other things that come in handy now I get whats going on and these ■■■■ ghouls keep chasing us humans someone might decide to chase them back :wink:

Edit I think I may have found what you guys mean but im confused as ■■■■ am i supposed to decode this debug stuff somehow?

I appreciate the work put into this box, and while the last vector of attack for (last) root was awesome, the path to reach that point was excessive in my opinion.

No significant find but in the HTML source of the art site, one of the attributes for the slider says data-whitespace="nowrape"- nowrape. I’m sure it meant nowrap. Japanese anime theme FTW!

yes this is unfortunate in the extreme and completely unintended typo by the creator of the original template - we only changed the code for the upload functionality. wouldn’t trivialise something like this

In case you need to verify it - https://colorlib.com/wp/template/sierra/ .

@artikrh said:
I appreciate the work put into this box, and while the last vector of attack for (last) root was awesome, the path to reach that point was excessive in my opinion.

Thanks, we’ll make sure not to stretch it that long the next time. :slight_smile:

@wabafet said:

Thanks @opt1kz for the priceless feedback. We're glad that you enjoyed and made full use of what the box had to offer. Apologies for any inconvenience due to the leftovers from previous versions.

I am currently having trouble with root but I am not sure of I am supposed to be bruting *it ?

very good challenge bro either way whether its hard or not nothing is ctf about this box that is what you think until you really pay attention I will admit things are a bit off logic wise to me but my friends had to explain a few concepts about tunnels better and also a few other things that come in handy now I get whats going on and these ■■■■ ghouls keep chasing us humans someone might decide to chase them back :wink:

Edit I think I may have found what you guys mean but im confused as ■■■■ am i supposed to decode this debug stuff somehow?

Thanks for the feedback. Google about the services running and the vulns related to it. You’ll find something surely. :slight_smile:

where is my uploaded files :confused: