Bastion

Got root, that was a fun box, thanks @L4mpje ! More realistic than most of the ones recently. It took learning a couple of tools, but everything is easily researchable. There are plenty of hints in this forum to get both user and root. Don’t overthink!

That was fun, Thanks to @Cybeernoob who confirmed I was on the right path.

MODS - Feel free to edit this if its too spoiler-y…

If you do have to go to a Windows VM be careful of the OS, I could not get the final step to work under W10, but as soon as I moved to a W7 VM the same steps worked first time.

Happy to nudge people if needed…

Re Windows VM versus Linux / which Windows version etc:

In cases like this, I use socat to forward only the relevant port(s) from Kali to a Windows box. So I can use Kali tools in parallel, for investigating other stuff while using Windows tools only when absolutely needed.

Windows 10 worked fine for me for ‘reading the large file’.

Any idea why i cant download the large file? keeps cutting me off at around 400MB of the file because of an error ? (using kali, not windowS)

Finally got root with assistance of Damedrewby and Last0x00… Very nice learning experience.

hello how run this box ? just only the ip or I need to install some stuff ?

Anyone else have their Windows VM crash when trying to mount the vhd?

@hxmo said:
Any idea why i cant download the large file? keeps cutting me off at around 400MB of the file because of an error ? (using kali, not windowS)

You dont have to download the vhd image. On linux you can first mount the SMB share and then locally mount the image file in the SMB share.

Hey guys, I am having trouble doing the second mount, would anyone be able to PM me

I scan the box…found open ports and two smb shares…also brutforce ADM** share but not lucky…am in in right direction or i am missing something…

Taken user and root! Thanks @L4mpje for the box! Feel free to dm for hints.

The adrenaline was at an all time high when I entered the admin mode oh god

Hi can anyone send me an PM how to connect the smb null session? smbc*** is showing some shares but I can’t connect to them. A little help is welcome.

Thanks

Many thanks to @DameDrewby for the advice and patience, rooted the box

Interesting box) All you need - just enumeration and reading the documentation)

Rooted the machine. Getting user was a lot harder for me then root. If you need assistance feel free to PM me on here or on Discord.

can someone explain to me from where did they got the .vhd?

Working on root and know my next step. I’m using the offline R*** script on the X** file but the scripts runs and produces no output (no errors or anything). I don’t know that language very well, but I can see from the script that it should print something no matter which code path is taken. What gives?

Type your comment> @Th3R4nd0m said:

can someone explain to me from where did they got the .vhd?

Just enumeration. Try. Check the ports first - and you’ll find the way)

Type your comment> @nullMachine said:

Working on root and know my next step. I’m using the offline R*** script on the X** file but the scripts runs and produces no output (no errors or anything). I don’t know that language very well, but I can see from the script that it should print something no matter which code path is taken. What gives?

I don’t think that script works, it was quite a few years old iirc.

Finally rooted, thanks you ! @L4mpje