Fortune

As someone who has done 12 boxes so far, do you think this box would be too difficult for me?

I am interested because, although I have found RCE (so the OS and some certs etc.) a bit too easily, the box is still ranked as “Insane” difficulty.

Are there any parts that would be considered “too” difficult (compared to boxes like Ethereal or Nightmare)?

Thanks and sorry for not contributing directly to the box.

Type your comment> @KostasKoutr said:

As someone who has done 12 boxes so far, do you think this box would be too difficult for me?

I am interested because, although I have found RCE (so the OS and some certs etc.) a bit too easily, the box is still ranked as “Insane” difficulty.

Are there any parts that would be considered “too” difficult (compared to boxes like Ethereal or Nightmare)?

root is a bit hard but with some tips it is actually manageable. The user part is fairly easy in my opinion. The tips in here helped a lot.

Type your comment> @KostasKoutr said:

Rating this box was difficult because there’s such a diversity of skills and experience on HTB. Perhaps it should have been “hard” ? Give it a try regardless. The more you do, the easier they get as you learn.

Great box, user was fun and root was a rabbit hole pain.

root tips: really try to understand the source code not just grep inside

can anyone PM me an hint for root?

Got User after an hour or so, I had to read about new things here and there, but I know in the end of the day I learned new things!

Let’s go for root!

Either I’m looking in different place, or I am missing something. I have some hashes of p***** format, but I can’t find something interesting in that place. Really can’t understand where I’m going wrong for rooting it

EDIT: Rooted! A fun ride indeed. This box does NOT require John/Hashcat. Respect to those who helped me out of this. Really amazing box @AuxSarge

@sillydaddy
@wail99

Thanks!

Can I send someone a message, so I can talk about root, I have found a way I think but I am unable to progress!

This box works strangely for me. Box doesn’t respond to my pings and it seems it’s resetting every 2 or 3 minutes.

Type your comment> @n1b1ru said:

This box works strangely for me. Box doesn’t respond to my pings and it seems it’s resetting every 2 or 3 minutes.

It was my fault… Kali restored to previous snapshot

Got User, any hiny PM me…

Can anyone help me with the initial foothold? I read all the hints and checked the websites posted, but I feel like I am missing something obvious in terms of ssl. Please PM me.

Edit: I cannot believe I overlooked the basics of RCE. bangs head on the desk!
Edit2: Got user. On to root!

I think I’m following a rabbit hole - I have code execution but can’t seem to really leverage it how you’d normally expect. Any hints?

edit: i’ve enumerated all the binaries/users/configs and everything but can’t seem to send anything to myself. i feel like it’s so painfully simple too hahaha

Type your comment> @AzAxIaL said:

Can anyone help me with the initial foothold? I read all the hints and checked the websites posted, but I feel like I am missing something obvious in terms of ssl. Please PM me.

You can PM me! I am working on root but can give you hints on user…

very nice box…learn quite a lot new things from this one…thanks for creator’s work… pm for hints…

Boom, rooted. Thanks go out to @loptr and @jkr :slight_smile:

Awesome box!.. bit of a weird ending.

Spoiler Removed

have a hard time getting root :confused:
i know what i have to decrypt, i know how to do it but i have no idea where to find the key

EDIT: who the heck needs to decrypt their keys anyways, amirite?

great box, was a lot of fun until i wasted hours at the very last step :slight_smile:

Type your comment> @0x41 said:

have a hard time getting root :confused:
i know what i have to decrypt, i know how to do it but i have no idea where to find the key

EDIT: who the heck needs to decrypt their keys anyways, amirite?

great box, was a lot of fun until i wasted hours at the very last step :slight_smile:

Exactly at the same stage, before your EDIT !!