Curling

Got user and root. Struggling with root shell. Could someone give me a hint. I know the files and command running.

Thanks

@avjeeves said:
Just joined HTB and for a first lab it is fun one!

I managed to get to user flag pretty easily but I am now stuck on root flag and could do with a couple of hints.
I noticed the files and that there is some c*** running but cannot see where. Based on the box name I also suspect I have to use c*** tool too for this one.

Am I on a good path? I am clearly missing a piece and can do with a small nudge :slight_smile:

See what you can put in one of those files you found. Then let the c*** do its thing

OK… one member change f****** user password … no thx !

I believe that I am overthinking this process, could someone give me a push, I need any and all help…

please PM for what to put in i**** file

Same as cognitiv3. Any tips for what to put in i****? Everything I’ve tried has resulted in the same user. For the record, looking for a shell.

@cumulus thanks for the tip, I was very close but over-complicating things… Got root.txt and root shell now.

@Grim120 did you manage to get root.txt? then think how you could use the same technique on other server artefacts

Hello guys! It’s my first machine. Can you please help me. I did a RS and found u*****xt file and pass**********up file. I don’t know what to do next. Thank you

Please PM I stuck on priv esc

figured out the input file (to read flag, not get shell), PM for hint

If anyone is stuck on the pa******_****up file, go check out CyberChef by GCHQ, its a great decryption tool

Fun box. certainly learned a couple things on the way… Thanks to the creator.

can anyone PM me with syntax for a script to monitor a file? been using lsof, but its not quick enough to catch the write, so I cant figure out where the job is coming from.

EDIT:, never mind… Over thinking things… have root.txt and root shell pretty quickly and easily once I took a step back.

Hi,
I’ve completed the box, If you need help, just pm me :blush:

Hack The Box

hi all i need a bit op help im tring to get user but im stuggling to convert the bz2 file to a gz file, just changing the extenstion dose not work. Aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
mv password password.gz ------- its still classed as compressed file but not a gz file

hope you can help

Hey guys! Can anyone shed any light on why a certain file may not be decrypting so straightforwardly? How could you structure its decryption? I have had a go with cyberchef and dtrx. Still got a sprinkling of gobbledygook. Time for a brew

Can someone PM me regarding the p*******-b***** file? I’ve read all the hints in here and tried everything I can think of…

EDIT: nvm… FINALLY figured it out

For the p*******-*****p file, look at magic numbers. Those will help figure out what a file is. Cyberchef has a great “magic” component that can help

Type your comment> @cycloneripper said:

hi all i need a bit op help im tring to get user but im stuggling to convert the bz2 file to a gz file, just changing the extenstion dose not work. Aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
mv password password.gz ------- its still classed as compressed file but not a gz file

hope you can help