Eat the Cake! by Little Pwnie

@Narmu said:
@gavz I tried unpacking it on Windows 7 still not running…

tested on windows 8.1

@gavz thanks I figured it out, it was about which unpacker to use

@Narmu said:
@gavz thanks I figured it out, it was about which unpacker to use

I do not remember how i it unpack:

1. upx.exe -d on VM windows 8.1 or windows 7 or
  2. through Ollydbg

I’m afraid I’ve been wasting my time on this challenge, so I’d appreciate some advice: how do you know if it’s unpacked correctly? If it runs in the debugger, and it shows the ASCII strings that print out, etc., is it correct?

I finally solved this challenge. It just wasn’t quite as straightforward as I expected from reading this thread. Feel free to DM for hints.

Oops so I spoke too soon. Turns out that two of the digits I only got because of guessing correctly.

I am a total RE noob - Could anyone PM me or post here some links to help solve this challenge?

Appreciate everyones help! Thanks!

Hi all, can someone PM me ? I unp****d using PE********. Now I am reversing, I think it is checking multiple bytes in the provided string, but not all of them…Do I have to guess the bytes which are not compared ?

EDIT → This box involves some guesswork from what I understand, solved it but 1-2 digits had to be guessed. Did anyone solve it without guessing ?

I have trouble with it also…

1. is not working after unpack
  2. the password check in the code reveals incomplete flag…

Any suggestions? Thanks!

For everyone having issues after unpacking: https://digital-forensics.sans.org/blog/2014/02/17/malware-analysis-and-aslr-on-windows-8-1

TL/DR: Disable ASLR on the binary.

Having said that, you can complete this challenge through static analysis alone. I used IDA. If your password is missing characters, you haven’t examined the program’s control flow carefully enough. Not sure how much more I can say without spoiling.

solved, by guessing few letters :))

Type your comment> @portos060474 said:

solved, by guessing few letters :))

I used IDA and Im missing four letters. Obvious ones do not work -:frowning:

I’m stuck…assistance please.
OllyDgb used to gather ESP and EAX have to CMP as same for the program to run… enter 10 digit pass which can be anything… then asked for 15-digit pass.
Can someone please hint how I can find the code which is executed when the Input I enter at this point is compared/validated?
As soon as the program starts running OllyDgb will not show me whats going on… new to reversing so if this is a Basic question please go easy.
Thanks for any replies in advance.

No guessing is required.

Hints:

1. For unpacking, follow @opt1kz comment.
  2. Find out the conditions of getting the congratulation message.

For newbies (Like Me): IDA - graph view is very helpful. Makes Reverse Engineering easier.

For those that try to avoid running closed source as their main OS and are not feeling like resetting their hacking lab windows VM’s here is how to unpack from linux/bsd

retdec-unpacker cake.exe
[UPX] Detected NRV2B unpacking stub based on signature & metadata.
[UPX] Started unpacking of file 'cake.exe'.
[UPX] Detected filter 0x26 with parameter 0x0 based on signature.
[UPX] Unpacked data based on signature.
[UPX] Original header found at address 0x791f in extra data.
[UPX] Import hints address 0x7000 found in extra data.
[UPX] Relocations hints address 0x7782 found in extra data.
[UPX] Original entry point address set to 0x2517.
[UPX] Original load configuration directory found at RVA 0x3730 with size 0x40.
[UPX] Original resources directory found at RVA 0x6000 with size 0x1e0.
[UPX] Successfully unpacked 'cake.exe'!

wont tell you what else to do, this is just with the info already posted, only that on linux not windows

To change the flags on the unpacked executeable, one can also use setdllcharacteristics.

You can compile it on your machine, it is pretty straight forward.

Besides this i am really stuck on this one. I was able to partly reconstruct the password, but i am missing a few chars and i am not sure where in the program flow i actually turn wrong. Is anyone willing to give me a hint?

I found the second part of this a lot easier on I**! I initially was just using cutter/winedbg, but once I switched I did not even need to debug it!

Fairly easy with the right tool, but overall nice challenge.

Solved it.

If you dont mess up unpacking the executable (like I did), a pretty straightforward debugging puzzle…

Has anyone tried solving it with Immunity Debugger?

Hey guys, I’m reversing the program with ollydbg and I really don’t know how to start.
Can someone help?