Ethereal

Lots of interesting stuff on initial recon. I downloaded everything I could find from the box but not sure how to use it yet (or whether it will be useful even). No obvious initial footholds yet.

edit: this box is so slow, even in VIP, and nothing is rendering consistently, so Iā€™m going to skip it.

Anyone have any issues getting the payload .l* to do anything?

I seem to be having some really inconsistent results, I had my .l* working fine, but now (using the same commands) it seems to hang as if j**** isnā€™t doing anything with it? I had success changing to a different VIP world for a bit, but pretty consistently doesnā€™t seem to be working now. The .l* is definitely in the right spot, doesnā€™t seem like itā€™s reverting either. If anyone has a clue with this one, would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Same issue with me then. Talked to a couple of people who got system and it sounds like my .l* is correct and in the right place but nothing happensā€¦ Tried with the simplest possible payload. Run it myself, works. Wait for j****ā€¦ no responseā€¦

It finally works. I have changed NOTHING for the last 20 attemptsā€¦ Iā€™ve been swapping between VPN connections, and now it worksā€¦ curious

Something to mention, the default HTB openVPN connection runs over UDP, meaning there is no actual session management for your overall connection to the labs (so TCP session management within the lab is then meaningless essentially).

I found I had much greater reliability when using the TCP openVPN rather than the default :slight_smile:

After resetting the box, the actions of the box still appear as if an event which should be occurring isnā€™tā€¦

Reverse shell seems to hang as wellā€¦ been carrying on without but was getting messy, decided to dig a little deeper. Not sure why but the commands arenā€™t getting a response backā€¦ Works fine between two vms.

Yeah thats what I found, I woudl overwrite the .lnk and i could keep typing it and it just woyudlnt over write. Iā€™ve sent the creator a message to see if its intended to start doing that once the box restarts as it may be a bug. I just switched labs until i found one that worked.

Finally rooted. Im glad this is out of my life! Great box, definitely pushed me to my limits and learnt a whole bunch :slight_smile:

Somebody needs to have a word with j****ā€¦not impressed with his work ethicā€¦

ā€œAbandon all hope ye who enter hereā€ā€¦

Despite j****'s best efforts, finally got root. Well worth the struggle, lots to learn.

I am not having success with the .l*, either my payload is off or Iā€™m just not receiving the responses like everyone else. Anyone kind enough to confirm if my payload is jacked up??

Anyone could PM me a hint? Iā€™m out of ideas.
Iā€™m able to execute a limited set of commands and to read a part of the output over another ā€žchannelā€œ. Iā€™m not able to write something or to use one of the techniques to transfer files to the machine.

@MinatoTW said:
Try or Die!!! Donā€™t let the box pwn you

Searched through 4 labs and the free one yesterday to find a box where the lnk stuff is working properly. Does not get executed (the lnk works when I execute as Alan) and not get replaced. Have been trying for 3 days and over 15 hours now. Wonā€™t let the sh*te box pwn my life.

Probably Jorge is slacking as usual and already in his holiday break.

:-1: :angry:

Thereā€™s been a problem with the task which helps in getting the payloads executed. The mods have found the problem and the box should be fixed soon.

yep, has been fixed now! apologies for any inconvenience

@egre55 said:
yep, has been fixed now! apologies for any inconvenience

Thank you guys!