Irked

Can someone PM hint for Root, really stuck, not sure what to look for

Hi, this is first of a kind box for me, can I get some help or hints like on how to get forward. Have been stuck in the scanning part where I found what ports it have but cant get forward.

I’m a beginner at this and the main page hints at there being an I** service. It doesn’t show up with nmap and I’m unable to connect to it. I just want to confirm that this isn’t the way I’m supposed to get in right?

@bootsie123 said:
I’m a beginner at this and the main page hints at there being an I** service. It doesn’t show up with nmap and I’m unable to connect to it. I just want to confirm that this isn’t the way I’m supposed to get in right?

You can chat with this VM :wink:

Ah, thanks. I’m going to assume I’m connecting to it wrong then.

This one was fun, not terribly difficult.

@zatoichi187 said:

Could I get some help getting off the ground? I looked into r** and I** and didn’t find anything helpful. Now I’m just kinda stuck.

@bootsie123 said:

@zatoichi187 said:

Could I get some help getting off the ground? I looked into r** and I** and didn’t find anything helpful. Now I’m just kinda stuck.

Have you gotten onto the server somehow yet? That’s step one :).

Finally got root! First one and now let’s go for other HTB machines :slight_smile:
Learnt a lot. The hint is the same as the other, enum, enum, enum, something seems legit, but is it?

Got a low priv shell, but cant seem to find a way to get a normal user :(. And now I for some reason cannot go into any folder…

@zatoichi187 said:

@bootsie123 said:

@zatoichi187 said:

Not yet :wink: I’m trying though. That’s always the hardest step for me. Once I get somewhere I pretty much understand what else I have to do. It’s just getting there that’s the most difficult part.

@bootsie123 said:

@zatoichi187 said:

@bootsie123 said:

@zatoichi187 said:

Not yet :wink: I’m trying though. That’s always the hardest step for me. Once I get somewhere I pretty much understand what else I have to do. It’s just getting there that’s the most difficult part.

Keep trying. Enumerate hard. Make sure you get as much “free” information as possible, then decide on what looks promising or simply out of place.

so several people have said that the key to getting was “starting you right in the face” and others have mentioned steg, so after that all I have turned up was an URL. How does that help? Is that not what they were talking about? Confused.

Can someone help. I got a shell but cant to seem get any progress :frowning:
Couldn’t do it today, have to leave it for tmr :frowning:

Finally rooted. Big thanks to @sx02089 and @OldManWinter for the hints.
A good box to learn about really paying attention to results of scans and enumeration scripts.
My tips for those having difficulties.

Initial access: full port scans are necessary, services found will give hints of possible ways in.

User: if you found the .bp file, Google the full term for s, think about a file you found during you initial scans and enumeration that would work with it, and consider how you can use the other information in .b***p to gain access.

Root: As most people have said, enumerate and look very carefully at the results. For those who are not familiar with binaries that are included in a Linux installation, it may take some time to find what you need. Anything that looks unfamiliar, Google it. Worst case, you learn about an existing binary. Anything that is new is worth a look.

PM me if you need any more hints.

Rooted! Thank you to @marine @Liz4rd @Skunkfoot @S92izii @jkr
Enumeration is the key. For those who haven’t come across with a similar scenario it is tricky. Open files and read

Spoiler Removed - egre55

I’m focusing on the highest port number which is open. Please PM me any hints to help me progress, I’m assuming msf is the obvious method.

I don’t know how to get a shell. I tried both the Metasploit module and the manual exploit, but none of them work. I tried all ports, which are related to it and I tried every payload… What did I forget?

Msf must work. Try once when VM will be restarted.