Irked

@AgustinCB said:

@galoryber said:
Anybody have some time to help? I’m looking to get root. I think I’ve found something that’s not usually on Linux machines (not an easy task for me yet), but I’m worried I’m creating my own rabbit hole :).

If you found it, it should work right away.

It depends if someone else has done the dirty work for you yet or not :slight_smile:

@d3ku said:

@AgustinCB said:

@galoryber said:
Anybody have some time to help? I’m looking to get root. I think I’ve found something that’s not usually on Linux machines (not an easy task for me yet), but I’m worried I’m creating my own rabbit hole :).

If you found it, it should work right away.

It depends if someone else has done the dirty work for you yet or not :slight_smile:

Oh, interesting. Then maybe the previous user forgot to reset the machine before I got in… Sending a PM.

crack out the perm manual

Hello, I’m new to HTB. Been reading the forums, writeups, watching IppSec, trying challenges and several boxes.

Obtained user successfully, but am struggling with root. Things I’ve tried so far:

• re-read this thread for clues
  • carefully went line by line through list of binaries (running and not) as suggested
  • tried enum scripts and read through the output multiple times
  • Googled for common enum techniques, read through several blogs, tried the suggestions
  • tried comparing box and files to typical Linux box and files
  • tried looking for the “b” and “v” files explicitly mentioned in this thread

Kind of feels like if you know it, you’ll get it, and if you don’t, you won’t.
Similar to how if you’re color blind, no matter how hard you try, you won’t be able to see the hidden numbers amongst the dots.

Not sure what to try next. Any clues as to what I’m missing here?

@OldManWinter I guess we should try harder. Same situation

ok, so far so good. Got a shell, found the b*** file. But I’m too dumb to figure out how to replace what with what. Any hints?

update: got root directly. I still have no idea how to solve the stego part…

it says stego, google stego!

Got root.txt
There is unintended way to get the both the flags I think. But anyway if anyone need hint PM me. Thanks for the hints in the thread.

Got root, don’t think I ever came across the b file everyone is talking about though.
Hint: The file I used is not nested 100 layers deep in some obscure subdirectory. Went back to my popular enum script results and it was in there, I simply missed it because it didn’t stand out to me. Googling the file path and name yielded 0 relevant results, thus missing from typical Linux boxes and an excellent candidate for a closer look based on hints earlier in this thread.

Be --one with the root. That’s all I’m going to say.

this is so strange…I used to connect to a service to upload ie script and now that service does not accept previous file type…Trying to access root but need that service…when I test it with a jpg it works fine but when I try to use another file type then it doesn’t accept it anymore…

Finally got root. For those who got the initial foothold / user i**d without using msf, it would be a great help for me to learn how you guys did it. :smiley:

can someone drop some hints in PM

Can someone PM hint for Root, really stuck, not sure what to look for

Hi, this is first of a kind box for me, can I get some help or hints like on how to get forward. Have been stuck in the scanning part where I found what ports it have but cant get forward.

I’m a beginner at this and the main page hints at there being an I** service. It doesn’t show up with nmap and I’m unable to connect to it. I just want to confirm that this isn’t the way I’m supposed to get in right?

@bootsie123 said:
I’m a beginner at this and the main page hints at there being an I** service. It doesn’t show up with nmap and I’m unable to connect to it. I just want to confirm that this isn’t the way I’m supposed to get in right?

You can chat with this VM :wink:

Ah, thanks. I’m going to assume I’m connecting to it wrong then.

This one was fun, not terribly difficult.

@zatoichi187 said:
This one was fun, not terribly difficult.

Could I get some help getting off the ground? I looked into r** and I** and didn’t find anything helpful. Now I’m just kinda stuck.