Hint for Waldo

OK , ok got it , syntax error after realising that there is a known_host just for a certain host. Can someone please confirm that my initial foothold was done correctly or I was just lucky reading user.txt as n*****? Not seeing user.txt from m****** makes me believe something is wrong

got user… was confused with user names thought but found the way… On my way to root, tried to enumerate but still nothing :frowning:

@dimhatzi said:
got user… was confused with user names thought but found the way… On my way to root, tried to enumerate but still nothing :frowning:

Do you still need help with root?, if so I can PM you. :slight_smile:

Rooted! Thanks a log @ZaphodBB for assistance, very nice Linux feature that I was’t aware of :slight_smile:

Got root :slight_smile: Thnx @Clmtn for mentoring…
Nice box…

Rooted this box last week, very fun one to do! Requires plenty of research and i learned some new things in the process. :slight_smile: If anyone needs some hints, feel free to message me, i don’t spoil anything, i just nudge you in the right direction.

Going through the thread absolutely helped, finally got root.

• The user part was where I spent most of the time, problem was using the wrong file. The commands about cleaning the retrieved file in vim were solid.

• I used this for the last part, was also posted in the thread.
    An Interesting Privilege Escalation vector (getcap/setcap) - NXNJZ

• Just remember to look for the files, because of path!!

Happy to help anyone who needs a nudge :smile:

ikuamike

rooted months ago, anyone interested in talking about alternative hacking ways ? Cheers

Rooted at last. Pop me a shout if you need a hand

Has anyone got root shell yet? Got the flag and am messing around with that.

I found the link below much more helpful for escaping jail

Got root flag.

Took my a little while to get the initial foothold, missed a simply step to go from N to M.

Then while breaking out I made a dumb error and didn’t set the right P***… Then, spend ages looking at the files at hand, instead of what everyone recommended me here to do in order to become a capable hacker.

Overall quite a fun box and a nice new topic learnt.

removed

Got root, but I’m a little puzzled by something re: SSH. PM me if you’d like to discuss.

Just rooted. A very nice final part that explores a non usual priv escalation method.

I am stuck on the directory traversal. I been looking through the .js and can’t figure it out. Any hints would be appreciated.

Nevermind. Was over thinking it :expressionless:

Rooted :slight_smile:
But just read root flag… Can’t get a root shell :worried:
Is it possible? crack shadow? root private key? anything else?

thx :slight_smile:

Finally got root!
Took me a few days, but i got it! :slight_smile:

This forum gave me a lot of hints, so thanks everyone for sharing your ideas!

Finally rooted this one.

Seems like a fairly troll-y box with a very unique way to get the root flag.

nvm.

done and done if your having issues with formatting check this thread out and look for a post about using sed to clean up what you have and don’t give up

I have managed to get the user flag. I am now on root. I did some JB*****K and basic unumeration. I have a feeling that the JB*****K won’t help. I did more but I can’t go into details because of spoiler.
I am stuck and I won’t give up. Can some send me PM with a small hint?