Irked

I cant get that CVE to catch either, i keep hearing steg but no pw even though somethings definately there, ive fuzzed too and its clean mostly. Ive looked for every CVE, Even wrote a few scripts that should have worked. i think im over thinking this one. I also spent hours trying to exploit the R** services to no avail.

(edit: ok i found the box was just always messed up, the timing was an issue i think. did the same thing i tried 100x before and it worked, and i did get it working without MSF for those asking)

@rafff said:
Hey guys, I may need some help. After the main page, I saw the i** port open, even connected to it (I never really used this kind of chat). Searched for exploit related and found. But when I try to use it on our well know msf, it doesn’t open me a session … Am I on the right track ? Or I should look elsewhere ? (of course I double checked the options I set)

Are you sure it doesnt open a session? Some MSF exploits produce access in less obvious ways so dont always expect a big notification saying session created.

If you get a “exploit completed but unable to create a session” message then double check your choice of exploit, your options and the RPORT you are targeting to reduce the chance it is just user error.

The initial foothold on this box is definitely possible with msf.

@timmy5 said:
I cant get that CVE to catch either

Double check that is true. The choice of payload changes what your MSF session will tell you. For example, if your payload isn’t meterpreter, dont expect a meterpreter session.

I wanted to do it without msf, it was a custom payload and not a single thing worked nomatter what i made it do. I found for those that have had issues with non msf exploitation (it seems like most have) it has to do with specific timing of when you send the payload which isnt actually clear at all when you look in to what msf is actually doing and the CVEs dont mention it either.

Just a note for those who want to do it the old fashioned way.

i’m going crazy about the steg part. i read all the hints in this thread but still no clue :frowning:
are both lines important?

I got my shell manually, with just nc and a python rev shell. The exploit was very straight forward. Doing it manually meant I could monitor what the system responses were.

@Gogonnash said:
i’m going crazy about the steg part. i read all the hints in this thread but still no clue :frowning:

yes - what does one of those words relate to ? - its hidden in plain site.

@ZaphodBB said:

@Gogonnash said:

yes - what does one of those words relate to ? - its hidden in plain site.

i know what each of these words mean, but cant i cant find a use in this context. can i pm you? i want to know if my thoughts are going in the right direction

Got root… user is quite simple, however the machine is unstable and there are many resets, therefore the exploit often it does not work… you have to try several times.
Root is very simple if you find right thing.

still i am looking for priv esc…any hints plz?
Edit: Finally Rooted…

Finally root :slight_smile:

Honestly - everything you need for foothold, user and root is in this thread

Foothold - enumerate properly - check all ports , then use google

User - again enumerate properly. Specifically for things you cant see straight away. When you find something interesting all the information you need is there - its staring you right in the face

Root - Enumerate again, look for files that can be exploited then look again for something you may not find in a standard Linux installation

Rooted … good box.

There are plenty of good hints in here. Everything you need is in this thread.

One of the ironic things about this box on the Free servers is that the constant resets make it hard to get user.txt but, because lots of people are lazy in how they own the box, if it isn’t reset, it can be really hard to see the easiest path to root.

@TazWake said:
One of the ironic things about this box on the Free servers is that the constant resets make it hard to get user.txt but, because lots of people are lazy in how they own the box, if it isn’t reset, it can be really hard to see the easiest path to root.

I agree … that’s what happened to me :-))

User was really fun to get. Pretty straightforward too.

I’m stuck on Root however. I’ve run many enum tools but I can’t find any nudge as to where to look. Maybe I’m burnout, but could anyone send me in the right direction?

Thanks

I found the b file, I understood it and know from where it comes from but still stuck… Any hints?
Edit: i tried using the things name as password, things like that and nothing :frowning:

@vitorfhc said:
I found the b file, I understood it and know from where it comes from but still stuck… Any hints?
Edit: i tried using the things name as password, things like that and nothing :frowning:

pm me what you have and Ill see if I can help

can someone PM me for help? Stuck at low priv. shell…

EDIT: Got user