Vault

So I’ve grabbed the root flag. Anyone actually become root on the machine named Vault? It looks possible.

@LegendarySpork said:
So I’ve grabbed the root flag. Anyone actually become root on the machine named Vault? It looks possible.

It maybe - the restricted shell escape is fairly easy, but its not clear if there is any value to this.

Oh I escaped the restricted shell, that was less than trivial, but you’re right not necessary for grabbing the root flag. I’m not actually a root user though. Did you actually escalate to root there after getting the root flag, @TazWake ? If anyone else has done it, I want to do it too … I think it’s possible but I don’t want to spend days on something that won’t work.

I never escalated to route on the Vault box. There is a fairly trivial escape if you want me to DM you.

Like I said, I escaped probably a second after getting on the box. It’s trivial. Less than trivial.

very cool box. thanks.

I need little bit help with g** decrypt …PM because i dont what to put spoiler here

Finally rooted.
Very nice box, thank you @nol0gz

Can anyone please PM me about root? Found a file in the vault but stuck working out what to do with it

@Waffles943 said:
Can anyone please PM me about root? Found a file in the vault but stuck working out what to do with it

Don’t recognize that file extension, huh? Maybe you should google it and learn about what it is and how to use it :wink:

i already have the user flag … i am now d*** in 192****4 … struggling for root … any hints on root will be appreciated :slight_smile:

@achayan said:
i already have the user flag … i am now d*** in 192****4 … struggling for root … any hints on root will be appreciated :slight_smile:

look into log files, maybe hint is there

I’m root in x.x.x.4. Stucked in a hole… I discovered an IP with no services listening.

how to move from dave to vault, need hint

Rooted. I enjoyed this box en learned new things again. I really like the multiple server ones. To bad this one has a step that can be a fair bit harder if you have multiple people trying to hack it.

Anyway, for all the people asking for hints, everything needed has been said in this topic.

I’ve just rooted the box and I am a bit confused. Most of the people found the rooting hard-ish and I actually found it even a bit easy (for sure way easier than user flag). I am wondering if I rooted the box in the right way or in an unintended way, could anyone send me a PM to discuss the rooting? Thanks!

@0xd1360b said:
I’ve just rooted the box and I am a bit confused. Most of the people found the rooting hard-ish and I actually found it even a bit easy (for sure way easier than user flag). I am wondering if I rooted the box in the right way or in an unintended way, could anyone send me a PM to discuss the rooting? Thanks!

Yeah PM me, I’m curious how you did it

It was kind of nice to have something discovered so early be so important so late. That was tough, but I’m glad I did it.

Just FYI the poison hint is only for tunneling…

I had to use proxychains to get it to work on mine