Frolic

@redout said:

@axle05 said:
Got the password idk*********. But not sure how to proceed from there. Any hint please?

You are near the user finish line. Finding where to use the password is one of the last steps.

I found the place to use this password. Unfortunately I’m stuck there now: I see 3 different vulns, but is quite certain those are for another version. Does this sound correct?

@asger said:

@redout said:

@axle05 said:
Got the password idk*********. But not sure how to proceed from there. Any hint please?

You are near the user finish line. Finding where to use the password is one of the last steps.

I found the place to use this password. Unfortunately I’m stuck there now: I see 3 different vulns, but is quite certain those are for another version. Does this sound correct?

There is most definitely a vulnerability that can be exploited.

And that’s the easy part…why is this a 20 point box when the OSCP buffer overflow exam is easier lol

@cslatt05 said:
And that’s the easy part…why is this a 20 point box when the OSCP buffer overflow exam is easier lol

Who cares about the points anyway?

HTB - the site where everything’s made up and the points don’t matter :wink:

https://www.shellblade.net/docs/ret2libc.pdf maybe someone can make the ■■■■ thing work

@redout said:

@asger said:

@redout said:

@axle05 said:

There is most definitely a vulnerability that can be exploited.

Thanks!

Rooted if anyone needs a hand PM.

Hey. I got the idk password, and filled in the shell via csv file, but I can’t do anything and get the shell. Metasploit does not open the session, give a hint

How the heck do you see addresses without usual g** tool? I’ve tried with s***ce but I’m stuck. Anyone willing to PM me a pointer to the right tool? I’m not in a position to spin up another VM so I’d like to do it right on the box itself.

@LegendarySpork said:
How the heck do you see addresses without usual g** tool? I’ve tried with s***ce but I’m stuck. Anyone willing to PM me a pointer to the right tool? I’m not in a position to spin up another VM so I’d like to do it right on the box itself.

I had the same struggle. One of Ippsec’s videos for the following machines has all the answers: What are the Machines with Buffer Overflow, ranked. - Machines - Hack The Box :: Forums you will know what tools to use.

The TL;DR is that you don’t need to spin up another VM. If you don’t want to watch through the videos, just think about what exactly you need from g** and find the tools that get that information.

Don’t forget to be a bit offset about this

@redout said:
What are the Machines with Buffer Overflow, ranked. - Machines - Hack The Box :: Forums

The TL;DR is that you don’t need to spin up another VM. If you don’t want to watch
through the videos, just think about what exactly you need from g** and find the tools
that get that information.

Thank you for the pointer.

Edit: got root. Not hard, I just needed some rest. It turns out I have a system with the right architecture for development and I’ve even used the relevant tools before for debugging. I definitely would not want to try this without a system to do the development on.

got root…pm for hint…

The first part really really sucks, but I learned something from both the user part and the privesc.

I think IppSec’s October video might help anyone struggling with privesc.

@dionero said:
The first part really really sucks, but I learned something from both the user part and the privesc.

I think IppSec’s October video might help anyone struggling with privesc.

TY for this

Edit: Got the pass, now its time to look where to use it…

Rooted.

Took me a very long time lol, I’d never attempted the method required for priv esc (well seriously attempted), feels so good to have pulled it off successfuly!

Feel free to message me and I’ll try my best to help w/o spoiling

@kekra said:

@l30n said:
Yeah someone told me you can do everything on the machine as a www-data user? Can anyone verify that?

Yes - no escalation to another user required for rooting the box!

To everybody struggling with priv esc: I’d recommend again to search for videos on retired boxes that required the same type of BOF - and to practice with one of these boxes if you are VIP.
For me, those videos were the best and fairly self-contained ‘step-by-step’ tutorials for that method. If you rooted one of the old boxes, you should be able to use your old exploit script as a template!

Yes, you can root from www-data, I just did.

@tty said:

any idea with what to do with the decode …!? string

Same here, can see some informations when trying to decode (seems to be filename) but cannot get something relevant.

Any hints ?

Magic numbers.

this is a really good hint :slight_smile:

Can someone help with the ROP? PM