Frolic

@Skunkfoot you might want to edit your quoted text too :wink:

@Dltd said:
@Skunkfoot you might want to edit your quoted text too :wink:

Yep just did, thanks

@l30n said:
I feel your pain, had to walk away, I saw way to many examples. I was given some good sites but they all have altered the exploit in their own way. Plus i’m trying to still figure out how to do this without gd* installed on the machine.

I just did the compiling/debugging on a VM with the same OS. shrug It’s a little bit of work if you don’t already have one but it’s worth it to have all of the tools you want.

Finally rooted, this was a tough one and I have quite a bit to read up on !

If someone who understands BOF (and r** in this case) and could teach me a little bit, please PM me! I would appreciate it a lot!

@narwhal said:
If someone who understands BOF (and r** in this case) and could teach me a little bit, please PM me! I would appreciate it a lot!

You might want to google/youtube search for “security tube” and “buffer overflow primer”. There are quite some good examples available. Even if at first is does not mean anything to you, just keep watching and listening cause in the end it will make sense to you. I think.

Yeah someone told me you can do everything on the machine as a www-data user? Can anyone verify that?

@l30n said:
Yeah someone told me you can do everything on the machine as a www-data user? Can anyone verify that?

Yes - no escalation to another user required for rooting the box!

To everybody struggling with priv esc: I’d recommend again to search for videos on retired boxes that required the same type of BOF - and to practice with one of these boxes if you are VIP.
For me, those videos were the best and fairly self-contained ‘step-by-step’ tutorials for that method. If you rooted one of the old boxes, you should be able to use your old exploit script as a template!

@Skunkfoot said:

@TazWake said:

@Skunkfoot said:

I think the “Difficulty” column relates to the level of difficulty a little more :stuck_out_tongue: But I get what you’re saying

I agree with both of you.

I think a lot of people new to HTB will try to start with this box because “its only 20 points, how hard can it be” and it is marked 5/10 (I thought it started out lower than that) with a lot of “easy” votes.

However, judging by the comments on this thread, questions I’ve been asked and the fact it took me nearly two days to get the first bit of code translation, I wouldn’t recommend this to new people. It isn’t a bad box, but there is a lot of it which is far from intuitive and not exactly what you’d expect from trying to own a box.

Yeah I agree, I would definitely send them to something like Jerry over this box to start out with

Agree that this is def. not a box for a new user … I put banged my head to just get user ,still researching root

Okay finally past all the decoding. A little initial fumbling with my web recon tools, plus googling, using ZAP, and keeping careful track of what I found and trying it, followed by more googling and landing on an awesome useful website and now… I’m ready to go get user. But first to sleep.

Edit: got user and now I have a couple of good tools to add to my hacker toolbox :-).

Got the password idk*********. But not sure how to proceed from there. Any hint please?

@axle05 said:
Got the password idk*********. But not sure how to proceed from there. Any hint please?

You are near the user finish line. Finding where to use the password is one of the last steps.

rooted. this machine was really a pain… but well thanks to some people I got it…

Got the addresses for system exit and /bin/sh I have the buffer size yet every single time for days and 1k attempts all it does is buffer overflow segfault no drop to root shell…wtf is going wrong.

@redout said:

@axle05 said:

You are near the user finish line. Finding where to use the password is one of the last steps.

I found the place to use this password. Unfortunately I’m stuck there now: I see 3 different vulns, but is quite certain those are for another version. Does this sound correct?

@asger said:

@redout said:

@axle05 said:

I found the place to use this password. Unfortunately I’m stuck there now: I see 3 different vulns, but is quite certain those are for another version. Does this sound correct?

There is most definitely a vulnerability that can be exploited.

And that’s the easy part…why is this a 20 point box when the OSCP buffer overflow exam is easier lol

@cslatt05 said:
And that’s the easy part…why is this a 20 point box when the OSCP buffer overflow exam is easier lol

Who cares about the points anyway?

HTB - the site where everything’s made up and the points don’t matter :wink:

https://www.shellblade.net/docs/ret2libc.pdf maybe someone can make the ■■■■ thing work

@redout said:

@asger said:

@redout said:

@axle05 said:

There is most definitely a vulnerability that can be exploited.

Thanks!