Mischief after patch

@x4nt0n start over from when you logged in as user. Then search the system carefully. Pay VERY close attention and assume NOTHING. That’s the best advice I can give guys. I hope that answers all the people that inboxed me, lol. Those are way too many to reply to one by one.

Owned

So has anyone been able to root mischief post-patch? I’ve been stuck on this thing for about a week now with absolutely zero luck.

Rooted it, great box! :smiley:

root is fucking annoying. cant get the way in. kindly PM me for right direction. struggling a lot! x(

I found some trickery with commonly used escalation commands, but I’m not quite sure where to go from there.

Anybody got any tips of us living in third-world network infra? :frowning:

wait a Second when did mischief got patched. mm ill try again then! if so.

Rooted.

As others have said, don’t think about complex solutions, the way is actually really simple.

This machine is about not trusting our own brains. Sometimes we use the information we already have to come to the conclusions that makes the most sense. Almost all the times this means that there is always some data that its right in front of our eyes, and yet we don’t see it. In cases like these its much better not to assume anything and simply look and process every bit of data available to us (easier said than done).

Really cool box, waiting for more @trickster0!

Anyone willing to PM me a nudge on privesc? I’m at a loss. Tried using a particular file to get creds to a particular service, but I have a feeling that’s a rabbit hole. Other than that, though, I’m lost :frowning:

hi guys - i am loggedi in as root but can see the root flag
hint pls

nvm… got the flag
what a painful ride

getfacl will solve some mystery… which command? the one that you want to use with a password but somehow can’t use.

@wilsonnkwan said:
getfacl will solve some mystery… which command? the one that you want to use with a password but somehow can’t use.

step down to stage 1 is the answer! :slight_smile:

Finally rooted! It was tiring but it was worth it.

Would anyone be willing to give me a nudge on privilege escalation? I’m not really noticing/finding anything, but, admittedly, my enumeration game is a little weak. Just looking for tips, really.

@opt1kz said:
Would anyone be willing to give me a nudge on privilege escalation? I’m not really noticing/finding anything, but, admittedly, my enumeration game is a little weak. Just looking for tips, really.

Pay attention! He is very deceitful!

funny box i got the root

can anybody pm me about priv esc?

Rooted. What a ride that was.

As everyone else has said, the box lives up to its name. I was stuck spinning my wheels on privilege escalation for I don’t even know how long, and has already been said several times… It’s right there under your nose.