To bleed or not to bleed? That is the question.

I dislike the concept of bloods because I think it leads to over-competitiveness and anti-social behaviour. There is on the increase a phenomenon of crucial files to be deleted to inhibit others from reaching the solution. Moreover, the rule that disallows multiple bloods to be gained from members of the same team is also problematic. It has led to breakage of teams to allow their former members to get multiple bloods. Especially the concept of second and third blood has been proved many times pointless because the flag is shared between friends -who either have worked together or not- irrespective of teams. Therefore, I propose the abolishment of the concept of bloods. I know many will disagree with me on this because a part of the competitive feeling will be lost but that’s my opinion. In any case -If bloods should remain- I believe it will be beneficial to be limited to only one for each category (first for ‘user’ and first for ‘system’).

Hello alamot, regarding bloods, I am against ditching them since I like the competitiveness plus they are a good way to have unique ranking points (without bloods we would have 10-20 ppl as no.1).

Although, I do not find the single-blood idea bad. Awaiting comments of more members.

I support this idea. I like the idea of getting rid of bloods for a number of reasons. It has become clear that soon the only way to be in the top 10 will be to have multiple bloods. This isn’t very motivating when one person from a team gets blood and then shares it with 3 others so that they can rank (and their team can rank). It is demotivating. However, that is nothing when you look at the other aspects of this problem, i.e. t has really driven competitiveness to the point of dishonorable behavior. This was most obvious with Jeeves where one of the players kept deleting files that the other players were putting on the server. This player did get blood after his team mate scored the flag. This is extremely frustrating. I expect that kind of behavior from a troll and have seen it on occasion before, but never before during the run for bloods. I think it has devolved to a point where it is counterproductive, i.e. the points have become worth more than the quest for knowledge or the community. Is that what we want? I certainly do not. We are a small group of seekers in this world and this competition for points have driven people to questionable behavior. I do not think it is useful to the community.

I fully agree with the removal of bloods. It creates too much competitiveness, and if someone for some reason cannot be present when a new box is released, he will never be able to stay in top10. In addition, this discourages the sharing of expertise among users. As far as blood within the teams is concerned, what I can say about snadoteam is that we don’t share the flags, but at most we share the thinikink behind the techniques to solve the machines. But I’m also sure that in other teams this doesn’t happen and the flags are only shared.

@alamot said:
I believe it will be beneficial to be limited to only one for each category (first for ‘user’ and first for ‘system’).

I agree with alamot that the blood make chaos rather than a healthy competition in the community, but considering the fact that @ch4p mentioned, the proposed first blood on system and user, seems to be a good fix.

To blood or not to blood, is that the question? In my opinion, bloods are deleterious if you want learn somtehing new and experience on new techniques because you are only focused on rooting as quick as possible which will lead you to behave like a script kiddie in many situations. And yes, they encourage antisportmanlike behaviour, but the world is full of this, it’s like doping in real sport. So it’s up to, if you really want to explore this fantastic world, don’t care about bloods and points, take your time and use only your brain. Otherwise good luck ;-). p.s.: as you can see in my profile, ranking and bloods are not my concern, I didn’t even post some user flags.

:+1: @alamot but as @ch4p mentioned above, bloods are necessary for the unique ranking in the HoF.

The idea to have only “fist blood” is nice way to fix some issues but the problem regarding file/flag deletion will remain so the admins must set some additional rules. So, :+1: from me regarding the single blood idea.

We are here to learn and share knowledge don’t forget that :slight_smile:

/peace

@alamot to make it official, post your idea in the feedback, it will require extensive coding but I m starting to see the benefits of having a single blood. Blood sharing will cease to exist plus the motivation to destroy a machine’s flag will be less likely since no other bloods will exist.

@ch4p Done. By the way, I don’t see any issue with having many people as number 1. We all can be number 1 lol. :slight_smile:

@decoder said:
if you really want to explore this fantastic world, don’t care about bloods and points, take your time and use only your brain. Otherwise good luck ;-).

@filippos said:
We are here to learn and share knowledge don’t forget that :slight_smile:

@alamot said:
@ch4p Done. By the way, I don’t see any issue with having many people as number 1. We all can be number 1 lol. :slight_smile:

Actually I’m a new users. Nonetheless I’d like to share my opinion, that is efficiently condensed in these quotes.

I conceive this platform as a great learning experience. No more, no less. For this reason I don’t consider the blood’s thing as useful feature. I don’t understand why there is such type of bad fury to get the bloods. It’s related neither to the competitiveness spirit, nor the the hacker’s spirit.

I don’t consider at all who is the first one or who is last one. I sincerely agree with @alamot.

@alamot said:

This is the primary concept. All the other things don’t matter, because the blood don’t highlight the best user, but only the fastest user oo in same cases the users that have free time when the new box is released…

I dont have a competitive spirit, but blood are cool for the new boxes, once a week on saturday, we share something together. So I would like blood to stay.
About fair play with personal files, it’s another question. About teams, we dont need any team.

I agree having one blood for user/system seems to solve the issue :+1:

I’m a new member like the site so much I became a paying member almost from day one just to support the cause. I like the “only one blood” idea if it prevents obstruction and team based stroking. That being said if you don’t like the competitive nature of HTB then don’t bother with that part of it. The idea of having “more then one first we can all be 1st” is illogical and not fair conduct. It is like saying we can all be 7 foot tall if we just pretend enough? Just my two cents don’t let it ruin your day or anything.

@JoeDev Philosophically speaking, I think ‘illogical’ is the belief that only one person can be 7 foot tall. :slight_smile:

OK after reading all posts and considerations, I think that 1 unique blood (root) for box is a good idea and can solve a lot of problems.
But what happen if in a box there are a lot of pepole that try to root for get the only blood? In this case can one or more users damage others?? Yes of course.
There is no solution, bloods are bad for knowledge sharing and learning something.

Guess I’m getting into this kinda late, but just for the sake of mentioning my opinion: I agree with Alamot, and I wouldn’t mind getting rid of second and third bloods - but I also like the idea of keeping First Blood for User and Root - and that’s all. That will eliminate the flag sharing problem, and as has been mentioned will likely somewhat alleviate the questionable behavior such as deleting other users work(at least after the flag is found)… It’s really really sad that something like that happens in an environment where there is no actual benefit to getting the flag first, or before someone else other than some virtual ■■■■ measuring system (points) in what should be a tight-knit, friendly, sharing community.

That’s just my two bits.

I have put this to public voting in Ideas & Feedback. I am also leaning towards single bloods as I stated above.