Poison

Are you sure you’re using the right user?

@Bear said:

Just read people have been changing the password… may need to reset box :frowning:

@Bear said:

@Bear said:

Just read people have been changing the password… may need to reset box :frowning:

I just tried and password seems to be ok… if anyone can help with priv esc please pm me though!

@Bear said:

I assume its the right user since the username was part of the file I decoded. I had seen the same user in the passwd file. I’ll try a reset and see if that helps.

Yes… finally got root. Was messing up one of the stupid ports in the final command. PM me if you need any hints!

Rooted. I learned a couple of things from this box. First, one of my go-to recon tools doesn’t produce all the output I want on this particular OS so I googled a little and found another tool that provides the right information. Second, how certain services handle credentials (I am simply shocked, shocked I tell you).

I had already in the past spent a long time learning about how to see the light at both ends of the tunnel going in both directions, and I tell you that week was TOTALLY worth it. It has been a lifesaver and a huge timesaver over and over again.

@royc3r said:
i decoded the .txt using the methods mentioned in this thread and have the user/pass but I can’t ssh with that…should i be able to?

Also its Caps sensitive

Is it just me or yesterday this box had vnc service? Today I get only 22, 80. Does that mean that vnc is not important for this challenge or something else happened?

@milosa said:
Is it just me or yesterday this box had vnc service? Today I get only 22, 80. Does that mean that vnc is not important for this challenge or something else happened?

It still has it but you’re looking in the wrong place

good maschine maaan the last bit give me the SH*****TS lol

but got root aget +1 respect those who assisted me should mention name :slight_smile:

I managed to get root but I don’t entirely understand how the process worked, can anyone PM me and explain it to me?

Wow… So easy yet tricky. Don’t think too hard on decoding or finding a crazy convoluted procedure, research the service running on the machine and how the service runs, how it authenticates, etc. That should give you all the information needed to get root. PM me for hints.

I am at the final part, I can start the service but it logs into the normal account and not root. I really need help getting root on this box if anyone can lend a hand on what I need to do next :frowning:

Ive just rooted this box after like 3 days of trying and i have to agree with everyone that says that everything is here in the posts i got there in the end

I am on priv esc. I figured out the service running on the first date but now when i tried to enumerate the box, the service is no longer running. can anybody help me with this. Is the service running occassionaly?

Got the service running and tried to connect to it. Wasn’t prompted for a password and screen is grey. What do?!

i’m not able to unzip a secret.zip file even i entered a right password today. yesterday it works fine but today it is not working. i pull it on my system i got only one file “secret” when i extracted with correct password. any thing goes wrong?

@jupitarsat said:
i’m not able to unzip a secret.zip file even i entered a right password today. yesterday it works fine but today it is not working. i pull it on my system i got only one file “secret” when i extracted with correct password. any thing goes wrong?

You are on the right track. You got what you needed from the zip. Enumerate running services and figure out how to use it.

@ompamo said:

@binzahur said:
any way to determine file type of un compressed file? Any hint pls.

Use the ‘file’ command, but I’m afraid it won’t help in that case.

@binzahur said:
any way to determine file type of un compressed file? Any hint pls.

char%20det

I owned the user already (so I’m trying to own the root), but for some reason I am no longer able to access the URL “http://10.10.10.84”, or any other IP address for active machines. According to Login :: Hack The Box :: Penetration Testing Labs, my connection is working, and I was able to access it originally when I initially owned the user, so I don’t know why I wouldn’t be able to access it anymore. At first when I started having this issue, it would load sometimes (but rarely), but for the past day it hasn’t been working at all.

Also, at first, I was able to ssh into the system and get the text to own the user, but now I’m not able to do that either. When I type in the command, it either doesn’t do anything (and after a few minutes I keyboard interrupt it), or it prompts me to connect to “Charix@poison” (usually at least a minute after I started the command), but when I put in the password, it re-prompts me for a password, even though the same password worked the first time. After the second or third attempt, I usually get a “permission denied” or “connection closed by 10.10.10.84” error.

Every time I ping an active machine, I get 100% packet loss, which I didn’t get before when I initially owned the user.

I have re-generated my VPN keys several times, and the issue persisted.

Am I doing something wrong? This is the first thing I’ve done on this website, so I’m not overly familiar with everything yet, but I just can’t imagine why it would work the first time but isn’t working again…