Milkshake / Stego

Hi all, i downloaded the audio file, i use a tool for find hidden data:
"
Looking for the hidden message…
Failed to detect a hidden file.
No custom header was found.
Something failed.
i tried .wav too… but nothing,i don’t think that i’m in the wrong way…

Hi, when you listen to the audio you can hear some buzzing in the background which stops after a while right? That’s a good indicator that the file has been messed with in some way and there is something hidden in it.

I have found this page: Cheatsheet - Steganography 101 to be a useful resource. There is a section on audio steganography there that will help you complete this challenge.

solved

I’m still bashing my head against the wall on this one, cannot connect the comment, steghide and sonic visualizer. Can anyone please PM me.

@f1b0nacc1 said:
I’m still bashing my head against the wall on this one, cannot connect the comment, steghide and sonic visualizer. Can anyone please PM me.

I’ve sent you a PM :wink:

Every day you learn something new, nice one :slight_smile:

I have installed sonic visualizer,but i dont know how to extract the secret file.Can anyone please PM me.

@73rry said:
I have installed sonic visualizer,but i dont know how to extract the secret file.Can anyone please PM me.

solved! Interesting

completed this challenge if need any help feel free to pm :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I knew nothing about audio stego… this was a good introduction. I’m sure it gets more complicated but this got me started.

Hi, guys. Decided to take on challenges on HTB, so as a first one selected Stego/Milkshake. I do think that I have discovered the Flag after looking at the rainbow. It is in HTB{something something} format, but HTB does not want to accept it saying “Incorrect Flag”. I tried to reload a form, logout/login stuff, but result is the same. Am I missing something here?

You may be typing it wrong, double check every character and remember it is case sensitive.

Now I got it!
May be a hint for future users, hope it`s not a spoiler, are NO SPACES in the flag, although rainbow clearly show it.

Was playing it over poor speakers, but my wife claimed to hear some hissing sounds, while for me there was something, but not really clearly audible. Maybe too bad ears already. Would be interested, if everybody really heard the tempering…

@Phorkyas: I have a decent sound setup and at my preferred listening level (low, I’m old and want to keep my hearing) I couldn’t really hear anything. Then, as I kept turning up the volume you can clearly hear what sounds like a high pitch “clicking” or “popping” sound which ends sometime during the 17th second of playback.

Can someone do a writeup on the stego Milkshake challenge? It’s a retired challenge, so a write-up would be allowed.

@mr22 said:

Can someone do a writeup on the stego Milkshake challenge? It’s a retired challenge, so a write-up would be allowed.

Be the change you want to see :wink: