Retro - Stegno

Greetings, I have been stuck since 2 days on Retro challenge from steg..
I have extracted the audio file from the image.
I have tried steghide, foremost, xxd, and hexdump on the audio file and got nothing...
I also tried online spectrum analyzer and nothing...

Please show me the right path =)

Comments

• Hi, I am working on Retro too. I opened the audio file with Audacity. After the two tones there is something strange, worth looking deeper. I am stuck there.

• Same here with the audio. I have a feeling I'm down the rabbit hole

• The text file is confusing me. What did y'all make of it?

• BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Think about data storage in the 80s...

decart

• I'm stuck too

andremilke

• I'm too... Got the files but I have no idea how to continue wie the audio file. I'm too young for this challenge... :anguished:

Hack The Box

• Hi, I'm stuck too apart from seeing a Manchester coding ! do we need a specific tool (other than audacity)?

• Can anyone please help after extracting both the files for this challenge?

• tried the storage devices for steghide in the audio. Still no clue. Any hint ?

• Same here, I have the audio and text file, but I'm not sure what the next step is re: the audio. And I'm not sure how the .txt fits in.

• Easy solved :cold_sweat:

• edited June 2018

)

• edited June 2018

Spoiler Removed - Arrexel

• edited June 2018

Currently, I'm aware of two ways to solve this:

1. Follow the thematic clues. This is the most rewarding and (I imagine) the intended way to solve this problem since you'll learn a few things.
    2. Analyze the basic data you normally collect when working on a steganography problem. Look for patterns or abnormalities. Trust your instincts and you'll find the flag.
  • @decart said:
    Think about data storage in the 80s...

Don't bother looking for a clue better than this one

• Hi !, i have the mp3 and the txt , i use sonic -vizualizer but nothing appears .I have some clues but maybe spoilers so if someone can PM me . Thanks

• Any hints? I have the audio and text file. The audio seems like manchester coding but I have no idea what I should do. Any hints? Feel free to PM me.

• Done! Oh man, does that take me back a few years. That was a really nice trip down memory lane.
    Many is the time I spent sitting waiting for the damn thing to load only for it to barf at the last second. And then again there is the old "spinning on a pencil" just to get back to the start. Yes, definitely trip into my early teens.

• I got it after a while! PM for hints if needed

• Can anyone help me out on this? I have what seems like the final file, but I cant seem to get any data out of it besides the & symbol. i'm so close I can taste ittttttt

heigou

• I know very well what's that sound. But have no clue how to use it without that specific 80's beautiful piece of hardware. My old one is gone :)

• I know what the sound is, but no idea how to use it to get something meaningful

• Search, search about 80´s data and search more about actual software to translate...

• @eternaln00b said:
    Search, search about 80´s data and search more about actual software to translate...

Thanks!

• My advice is : listen to the audio file. Try to find something similar on youtube. Use the clue given.

Deleite

• Really stuck on this challenge. Have very faint knowing about data storage in 80s. Would be very thankful for a hint

• @redlily said:
    Really stuck on this challenge. Have very faint knowing about data storage in 80s. Would be very thankful for a hint

I'm stuck on this challenge too! I think we need a tool to convert .wav files into text or smt!

• @DaChef said:

@redlily said:
    Really stuck on this challenge. Have very faint knowing about data storage in 80s. Would be very thankful for a hint

I'm stuck on this challenge too! I think we need a tool to convert .wav files into text or smt!

I also thought about it, but have no idea which tool or software to use

• Yeap i'm stuck there! Searching for a tool .....

Sign In to comment.