OSCP exam

Hi guys, I recently took the OSCP, and one box literally broke me. I don't know if I can tell the name here, so in doubt I won't. I spent around 8 hours on it and tried everything and nothing worked. I won't know at all what to do if I encounter it again and I will fail again. So what I would like is to discuss in PM with somebody that could point me to a similar box on HTB or a hint on how I could have gone further, so that I don't stay stuck next time. Thanks all!

Comments

  • The boxes change on OSCP exam each time.
    the next exam you take will have different boxes buddy

    3mrgnc3
    ~| OSCE | OSCP | OSWP | CSTA | Sec + | ~

    Visit: https://3mrgnc3.ninja

  • Sure, PM me

  • I am planning to take the OSCP 12 months from now. Can someone who passed the exam tell me at what point you can be considered ready for the exam? like how many htb machines you should be able to solve before you can be considered somewhat ready? I know this is very relative and hard to say but I am just looking for an idea of where I need to be before the exam. Thanks

  • @minhhungvn said:
    I am planning to take the OSCP 12 months from now. Can someone who passed the exam tell me at what point you can be considered ready for the exam? like how many htb machines you should be able to solve before you can be considered somewhat ready? I know this is very relative and hard to say but I am just looking for an idea of where I need to be before the exam. Thanks

    There is no general rule but ...
    30 boxes rooted in the lab - 50% chance
    40 boxes rooted in the lab - 75% chance
    50 boxes rooted in the lab - 90% chance
    Its just main rough estimation.

  • @antonov said:
    Hi guys, I recently took the OSCP, and one box literally broke me. I don't know if I can tell the name here, so in doubt I won't. I spent around 8 hours on it and tried everything and nothing worked. I won't know at all what to do if I encounter it again and I will fail again. So what I would like is to discuss in PM with somebody that could point me to a similar box on HTB or a hint on how I could have gone further, so that I don't stay stuck next time. Thanks all!

    You need to collect 70 points. The best strategy IMHO is to do the machine where you need to develop some stuff (who took the exam knows what I mean) and three other machines with the lower amount of points. The one machine to root (without development) with the highest number of points you should treat as "nice to have".

  • @3mrgnc3 said:
    The boxes change on OSCP exam each time.
    the next exam you take will have different boxes buddy

    Not true, I know people who got the exact same set of boxes on their second exam attempt. My guess is they are chosen at random and this person just got lucky.

    lowpriv

  • @lowpriv said:

    @3mrgnc3 said:
    The boxes change on OSCP exam each time.
    the next exam you take will have different boxes buddy

    Not true, I know people who got the exact same set of boxes on their second exam attempt. My guess is they are chosen at random and this person just got lucky.

    Or unlucky because they never will know how to crack it :(

    I have similar questions as the author of this post.

    8 Hours after the exam I knew one privesc solution (was blind during the exam) but 3 other machines are simply a mysterium for me.

  • Well when you pass the exam you get access to the certified members forum and people used to discuss some of the boxes from the exam there. Its been awhile since I have been on there so I'm not sure if they still do.

    lowpriv

  • Will be doing another attempt at the OSCP soon.

    Both attempts so far were different machines.

    Need to make sure you can do buffer overflows for sure and no try skip that out because they're always there.

    The exam machines are less step by step and more try think logically about there purpose. So use your gut feeling and think outside the box.

    Kicking off good nmap scans and using the NSE scripts are always worth doing.
    https://www.ivoidwarranties.tech/posts/pentesting-tuts/nmap/cheatsheet/
    https://www.ivoidwarranties.tech/posts/pentesting-tuts/nmap/nse-scripts/

    Made this site which you'll find a few thinks to in the forums for the page.
    https://www.ivoidwarranties.tech/

    Theres also a KCSEC facebook group with some OSCP stuff in.

    Try get as many as the OSCP labs machine ones done as possible and document everything you do.

    Dont be hard on yourself if you fail the first time, just pick yourself up. Review what you've got and well ... Try harder ;)

    KCSEC -- for Pentesting/hacking guides and Tools.

    https://www.ivoidwarranties.tech/ - KCSEC Website
    https://github.com/KCSEC
    https://www.facebook.com/KCovertSEC/

    Join the KCSEC HTB Team

    https://www.hackthebox.eu/home/teams/profile/655
    KCSEC

  • @macw141 said:

    @antonov said:
    Hi guys, I recently took the OSCP, and one box literally broke me. I don't know if I can tell the name here, so in doubt I won't. I spent around 8 hours on it and tried everything and nothing worked. I won't know at all what to do if I encounter it again and I will fail again. So what I would like is to discuss in PM with somebody that could point me to a similar box on HTB or a hint on how I could have gone further, so that I don't stay stuck next time. Thanks all!

    You need to collect 70 points. The best strategy IMHO is to do the machine where you need to develop some stuff (who took the exam knows what I mean) and three other machines with the lower amount of points. The one machine to root (without development) with the highest number of points you should treat as "nice to have".

    Not necessarily. Rather than being "nice to have", I found that machine was probably one of the easier machines I got during one attempt. Which machines are easier or harder depends pretty much entirely on what you are familiar with, just like here.

    I think the advice I would probably give for the OSCP is if you find yourself struggling and not making any progress against a machine, move on to a different machine. Also take a break every now and then.

    Frondosus

  • @Frondosus said:

    @macw141 said:

    @antonov said:
    Hi guys, I recently took the OSCP, and one box literally broke me. I don't know if I can tell the name here, so in doubt I won't. I spent around 8 hours on it and tried everything and nothing worked. I won't know at all what to do if I encounter it again and I will fail again. So what I would like is to discuss in PM with somebody that could point me to a similar box on HTB or a hint on how I could have gone further, so that I don't stay stuck next time. Thanks all!

    You need to collect 70 points. The best strategy IMHO is to do the machine where you need to develop some stuff (who took the exam knows what I mean) and three other machines with the lower amount of points. The one machine to root (without development) with the highest number of points you should treat as "nice to have".

    Not necessarily. Rather than being "nice to have", I found that machine was probably one of the easier machines I got during one attempt. Which machines are easier or harder depends pretty much entirely on what you are familiar with, just like here.

    I think the advice I would probably give for the OSCP is if you find yourself struggling and not making any progress against a machine, move on to a different machine. Also take a break every now and then.

    I second this, take a break, go for a walk or watch some tv. Just get your mind off it for a bit. It's 24 hours not because you'll need that but so you have the opportunity to take breaks and fit the test around real life. Hell if you've spent 8 hours on one box, even sleeping for a bit might help.

    Usually after 1-2 hours of being stuck I know I'm not finding anything unless I step back and do something else for a bit

    Booj

  • @Frondosus said:

    @macw141 said:

    @antonov said:
    Hi guys, I recently took the OSCP, and one box literally broke me. I don't know if I can tell the name here, so in doubt I won't. I spent around 8 hours on it and tried everything and nothing worked. I won't know at all what to do if I encounter it again and I will fail again. So what I would like is to discuss in PM with somebody that could point me to a similar box on HTB or a hint on how I could have gone further, so that I don't stay stuck next time. Thanks all!

    You need to collect 70 points. The best strategy IMHO is to do the machine where you need to develop some stuff (who took the exam knows what I mean) and three other machines with the lower amount of points. The one machine to root (without development) with the highest number of points you should treat as "nice to have".

    Not necessarily. Rather than being "nice to have", I found that machine was probably one of the easier machines I got during one attempt. Which machines are easier or harder depends pretty much entirely on what you are familiar with, just like here.

    I think the advice I would probably give for the OSCP is if you find yourself struggling and not making any progress against a machine, move on to a different machine. Also take a break every now and then.

    It is always personal point of view. I have arguments to defend my opinion, but not everything can be discussed here. Low-point machines are from my experience matter of enumeration. On the high rated it is easy to stuck while the time is crucial.

  • General question! Does your 900dollar course void after a certain amount of failed attemts or sometime?
  • @bleialf said:
    General question! Does your 900dollar course void after a certain amount of failed attemts or sometime?

    It definitely doesn't because of failed attempts. You should be fine as long as you continue using the labs or making exam attempts every now and then.

    Frondosus

Sign In or Register to comment.