Mirai - Almost there

Wondering if anyone can help me with the final portion of this. I have everything, I found what I need to find. But the file size is 0.. am I looking in the right place?

Comments

• Hard to say much at this step without spoiling, but if it's 0 that doesn't sound right :p

Arrexel

• @peek said:
    read it

That is the goal lol. But if it is 0 bytes. How can I read it?

• Noticed that too....but people are owning it somehow so something is there

• @Tarrell13 said:
    Noticed that too....but people are owning it somehow so something is there

Yeah I just wanted to ensure this wasn't a bug

• @day1player said:

@Tarrell13 said:
    Noticed that too....but people are owning it somehow so something is there

Yeah I just wanted to ensure this wasn't a bug

I really do wonder if it could be. Maybe some people can see it but some can't. Not too sure though. I just tried everything and nothing seems to change the size lol. I even tried pasting the damn Md5sum of the file thinking that was it.

• @Tarrell13 said:
    I really do wonder if it could be. Maybe some people c....

I'll PM you if I figure it out

• Ok just to close this thread out this is not a bug.. just remember everything on linux is a file

• edited September 28, 2017

I was struggling at this exact point yesterday. It's a little out of the box thinking, but if you think about it logically you'll get it. The last message you found is a clue if you spend some time to think about the process of what he did to the file :-)

andrewh

• Hey, thanks andrewh! Your hint regarding "what could have been done to the file" totally helped me get it. I was all over the place (never attempted something like this before) so I needed some guidance to force my thought in the right direction, haha. That was fun; I learned a lot in the process.

• Haha you're welcome, I was going off down all sorts of forensic investigation CSI attempts :-) but then I got a similar hint. Awesome work mate well done for getting there in the end.

andrewh

• Wow that took a long time and honestly I'm not exactly sure why that worked haha. Can anyone PM me and explain what the output means line by line?

Hack The Box

• what you mean with "little out of the box thinking"? :( i continue to not understand...